Not open for further replies.

mostu

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
PL
Hi, I'm 27 years old, male, and I am very worried about ALS. Here's a quick timeline of my symptoms.

June 2020

Thyroid cancer diagnosis.

September 2020

Thyroid cancer surgery, started thyroid hormone supplementation that puts me in a constant state of hyperthyroidism.

February 2021

Radioiodine therapy.

February 2022

First fasciculations in a neck muscle - right SCM.

May 2022

The muscle started twitching again, and over the course of the next two weeks, muscles in my whole body started to twitch - legs, arms, stomach, back. Went to a neurologist, she gave me a clean clinical and told me to supplement B12 and magnesium.

September 2022

After many months of stress and self testing I bit the bullet and took an EMG privately. The doctor only checked 2 muscles in my right leg and one muscle in my left leg (I chose that one because I knew it twitched before, so if the twitches were due to ALS, he would've seen them on EMG...right?)

November 2022

Visited another neurologist after temporary relief. Again, clean clinical, but she said that the EMG I got is not sufficient because we need to check upper limbs and bulbar muscles as well. Said that perhaps my hyperthyroidism is causing those problems. I asked if she suspects ALS and she said that she doesn't but wants to be on the safe side.

February 2023

It's February 22 and I have a head MRI on the 27th and the dreaded EMG on the 28th. I still have many fasciculations all over my body. I haven't noticed any atrophy or weakness, but I'm pretty sure that it will be super dirty with fibs and psw's and what not. I'm literally nauseous right now.

Would the first EMG show problems if this was ALS? I chose one particular muscle (left calf) that has been twitching, so it would've showed on EMG? Sorry I'm a mess...

I suspect the first EMG would show something if it were ALS. It's more likely to be thyroid related. If it makes you feel better, go ahead with the EMG. If the EMG doesn't show anything, you can rest assured it isn't ALS.

As I have written so many times before… ALS is a rare disease.
Even more rare is someone just 27 years old being diagnosed
with ALS. The odds are nearly 6 digits.

You have that going for you. You are just speculating your EMG
“pretty sure that it will be super dirty” You just don’t know now.

Your considerable Health Anxiety is what is making you nauseous.
You had a second EMG and it was clean.

If I read this right you’re going for a third.

I’d say with two clean EMGs, going for a third there isn’t much
more anyone here can do to help you. Really no need to post
anything more until after your EMG on the 28th. Really.

I hope you can find help soon with your considerable Health Anxiety.

I only had one EMG, sorry, maybe I used wrong wording. Had one clear EMG but then another neuro said that checking only legs isn't enough to exclude ALS and I need another one. Also I do realizd that the odds are in my favor but so were everyone's on this forum. And I also got cancer at 24 years old which is pretty low odds too... But you're right, can't really do anything other than wait for the second EMG.

Reporting back, just had a thorough EMG, and while I'll get the report tomorrow, all seems to be good. All muscles tested were quiet without fibrillations/positive sharp waves. One question though - is it normal to only test one side? They tested only my right side - right leg, right arm and tongue. Thank you

Yes, it's sufficient. Congrats on two clean EMGs and no symptoms of ALS. This means you can leave this forum behind once and for all.

Take good care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back