Learn about ALS
Country
BG
State
Sofia
City
Sofia
Hi,

I am 35 years old and I've been increasingly twitching everywhere for the past 4 months (or maybe even more), and I mean everywhere - constant in feet and calves, random in arms, fingers, back, chest, buttocks, face etc. They seem to increase after exercise but I can detect em while I am standing up or moving (neither can my neurologist when tapping me with the hammer). I dont have cramps, but have mild cramp like pain in the calves and arms.

I've got no weakness that I can detect - I can jump around on the toes of one leg, I run 5km on the crosstrainer every morning and my arm muscles seem to increase with exercise.

My neuro simply laughed at me when I've mentioned ALS and said that its just 'nerves' and put me on baclofen, but it didnt help any with the twitches :(

I know that noone on this site can diagnose me, but still, do those symptoms sound like ALS to you?

TIA

1) ALS starts in one place (since the nerve conduction of spinal cord is being destroyed) and then it spreads - doesnt start everywhere

2) Twitching after excercise is typicall for BFS

3) ALS doesnt start with fascics and if so, weakness is present or follow very early (in 3-6 weeks).

4) If muscle fasciculates (also it tries to reinnervate), lately it dies. Also it fasciculates until its "dead" (no nerve connection).

5) I have the same for almost year.

Hi,

Thanx for the reassurement :)

I've had another standard neuro appointment today - all deep tendon reflexes + the 'stomach wall' reflex (dont know whats the exact term) were normal, so I guess no UMN involvement *phew*. Was told to keep taking baclofen and check back in 20 days.

Thats excellent, you are OK...

Even when ALS isnt developed to weakness, reflexes are increased or decreased (depends on location) due to nerve hyperactivity. If you have twitching, with ALS you would have surely babinsky sign, hoffmans, clonus... ¨
Your OK, however I know you wont be absolutely sure, I still have the fear on the back of my mind..so its normal :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back