Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ga
City
Flowery branch
Hello everyone 3 weeks ago I started feeling twitching in my left shoulder. It wasn't strong at first but now I can most definitely feel it. Doesn't happen all the time. Comes and goes through out the day. Sometimes it will stop for like 8 hours. During this time I have been feeling stiffness in my both my shoulders and arms.

Now the twitching has moved to my right arm. I don't have any clinical weakness. I do have twitching also all over but it will only last a sec or two. But I do feel all of this. Past 3 days I've been getting cramps in my legs. At night especially.

I understand for it to be als needs to be clinical weakness. It's only been 4 weeks though I thought als progressed slowly. Like you fall over one day and then it happens again awhile later. I don't know anything about als. And I understand twitching can be caused by stress or caffeine or not enough sleep. But Im not stressed and I sleep 9 hours or more usually and I've been eating bananas and calcium to try and get rid of these twitching.

I did see my regular doctor a week ago and he said if it didn't stop he was going to send me to a neurologist. I'm just a little worried because I've never twitched like this. And now the cramps. Does als really come on that quickly? And I've looked about twitching with als and is it constant or not. Any replay would be great. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
When you hear hoof beats, think horses not zebras. Another way of looking at it is a cough can mean everything from a cold to stage 4 lung cancer. We don't normally jump from a cough to Oh my God I'm Dying! That is what is going on here. Twitching is so common that it isn't indicative of anything. And yes 4 weeks is kind of fast. The fasciculations come and go in ALS. Try getting more sleep and drink plenty of water. I don't see ALS. Lucky you....
Vincent

Thank you for your reply Vincent. I appreciate you getting back to me. One other question is had was if I had twitching for 4 weeks....wouldn't it show signs of weakness where it was twitching or no? Just thought I would ask thank you.

You might discuss your need for >9h of sleep with your doc-- that could suggest some undiagnosed issues in itself.

ALS, agree w/ Vincent that you have not described -- a very good thing.

Best,
Laurie

Ok So I Thought I Would Just Get A Quick reply. Twitching is still happening in my left shoulder and my right leg. Now it's started in my left calf muscle. Still is not constant. Called my doctor and they are sending me to a neurologist. Soon as I can get in is February 19. So I guess I'll update with that. I know you said als the twitching can go and come. Can it go away for a few days and then come back or no? Thanks for getting back to me. I'll let you know how the doctor Vist goes.

Twitching means nothing at all :)

I'm glad your appointment is soon, let us know after you have some results from that. (many of us had to wait 2-3 months, even longer, just for the first appointment, so that awesome for you)

Just an update. The twitching that was in my left shoulder has stopped. It's been 2 weeks now and the only thing that won't stop twitching is my right foot. But since my last post. My shoulders have been bothering me so bad. Some pain but mostly stiffness. I do have to say something that is bothering me is my arms have started to shake after I do anything physical. Did 8 push-ups today and I literally was shaking answering my phone putting it up next to my ear. This was also like 5 hours after i did these pushups. My gf even saw my shaking so badly. Im a former cross country runner and track. I know what it feels like for your muscles to be tired. But today scared me. I don't normally have anxiety. I'm still strong I don't have clinical weakness. I do still have my appointment for the 19th of this month. But I can tell something is not right. Twitching means nothing I know this. But did any of yall start twitching some where and it completely went away in one spot but stayed in others. I was twitching for 3 weeks in my shoulder and then it just stopped. Also my foot is the one twitching and my arms and shoulders are both the problem. I figured it would twitch the most where I had problems at. I know also that pain points away from als. And my arms do hurt me sometimes. Just getting a little worried thought I might ask some other questions. I feel like I'm getting weaker. I still feel the same except my shoulders bothering me but I've never had my shoulders and biceps shake like that today. It's been a little over a month since this all started. Any comments or thoughts would be welcome. Sorry didn't actually plan on posting again till after my appointment but just thought I would ask. Thank you

I am sure something is not right too - but it's not how ALS happens.

The best thing is to let the doctor examine you and decide on what tests are needed and what to pursue. Focusing on ALS is not helpful at all. I do wish you all the best at your appointment.

The general rule about the 'twich' is the more widespread the better, without weakness even better. Now, it is possible for fasiculations to come and go as you were told. It's also possible for them to stick to a limb until the motor function is disabled and then progress to another limb, etc. Everything is possible twiching wise. Really, you just need to stop focusing on them because the anxiety they can bring is mind crippling. Good thing you have an appointment to sort things out. I recommend relaxing, meditating, enjoying the moment and keep on living.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back