Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
BC
City
Caerphilly
Hi everyone, thanks in advance to anybody who takes the time to respond to my concerns. For weeks now I have had an almost constant eye twitch. I also have random twitches throughout my body. I woke up with a sudden sensation of weakness in my body around 5 days ago, more prominent on the left side, and I was trembling all over. This trembling continued over the last few days but is now slightly better, however the twitches and weak sensation continue. I paid £120 for a video call with a neurologist who admitted it was difficult to examine over video call but he was 90% sure it was ‘unlikely’ to be anything serious. I don’t have any strength issues but what has worried me is reading here from diagnosed people that clinical weakness can arise sometime later, and some diagnosed people live with twitches as a sole symptom to begin with. I do suffer with anxiety but twitches and weakness is a very new and scary symptom to me.
I appreciate any response x

I should say also I have read the sticky, and posted reluctantly but got worried when I saw a couple of posts from diagnosed people who said they did not have any clinical weakness or loss of strength.

There's not much the folk here can do to reassure you if you are still concerned after reading the sticky. It very clearly outlines the things you report are not considered signs of ALS. While you don't have ALS, it's not clear what the problem is. And that is what you must consult with a doctor for. Doctors have a variety of things they look for in an exam, but it must be in person, as the neurologist you consulted via video explained. It's not even really clear if a neurologist is who you should have consulted to begin with- a general practitioner is the best person to start with.

Many people look up twitching and their underlying anxiety prompts them to come to this forum worried about ALS. It is the equivalent of visiting a lung cancer forum to ask about a minor cough. Your anxiety has everything dialed to 11 and it's prompted you to visit a forum that supports those who are terminally ill to ask them questions about eye twitching. If you have any further questions, you really must visit with your primary physician.

All the best

Thanks @ShiftKicker for responding. I have been to see my gp back in January due to headaches and a neck twitch. I was referred to a neurologist via the NHS but since I developed the newer symptoms of left sided weakness and a constant eye twitch I contacted a private neurologist. I don’t have any clinical weakness which I know is reassuring but I posted due to worries that this may come later. If you’re confident here that I don’t sound like I could have ALS I will go away and continue to work with my GP. Having felt so sure this week that I was showing signs of this disease I’ve felt very very low and would like to donate to an ALS charity for those who are suffering if you can suggest any. Thanks again.

None of our diagnosed members have no clinical weakness.
Your video neurologist was correct, he is paid that kind of money to know what he is talking about :)
Please start just taking care of your hydration, sleep, exercise and diet as it could help reduce anxiety greatly.

I am sure the MND Association, that covers the UK, would be glad for any contribution you care to make. I share the sentiment that this sounds like a virus or nutritional/hydration deficit as much as anything, and eye twitch is almost always associated with one of these, or stress/lack of sleep. Likewise, different sensations on one side may point to bed/chair positioning that can be improved. So while you are working with your GP, it is a good time to try different self-care approaches that can help you feel better more quickly.

Best,
Laurie

I did see a post on a thread where a diagnosed person denied any physical weakness but I’m guessing from your replies this is usually unheard of. Thank you both for taking the time to reply to me, I will definitely be donating to the above charity and I wish you all the very best. ❤️

That person could be upper motor dominant. Also sometimes people don’t remember accurately i remember one person later saying no weakness but their first post spoke or failure and their first neuro exam showed weakness

Please don't cherry pick through posts to find 'the one' that proves you are right and we are wrong. You are good to go which is fantastic news! :)

All I needed to see was “Weak sensation”. My late husband just could not raise his toes one day. No sensations, just failure of movement. You sound fine, at least ALS wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back