Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
SGP
State
Singapore
City
Singapore
I'm 40-year-old overweight male with GERD, tension headaches and bilateral maxillary sinusitis.

I first noticed twitching on my abdomen seven months ago. I was being diagnosed with GERD at that time and described them to my doctor as 'bubbles popping'. He said it was probably gas popping in my stomach. Then I saw that little worm crawling under my skin for seven or eight seconds. The earthworm crawling phenomenon only happened once, back in April. The rest of the time it is random, soft to medium twitching all over: arms, abdomen, chin, inner ears, eyelids and most commonly on my thighs. The twitching may be one-off spasms or a series of twitches lasting not more than five seconds. One-offs are a lot more common. There are days when one thigh might let off a spasm every 15 seconds for hours on end and then stop for a few days. I also had constant headache for two weeks/everytime I exerted myself but they are gone now (also my head does still feel heavy at times).

I've seen two neurologists. Had strength tests done - normal. Reflexes were also found to be normal. MRI of the brain was normal; MRI of the neck showed a couple of intervertebral disc prolapses which is not unusual for someone my age. Neither neurologist suggested an EMG. Should I request for one as it seems to be the definitive test for MND? For now, they've told me to 'put this aside' and not to worry, which is easier said than done!

I also had two blood tests done two months apart; they both came back normal apart from a slightly elevated cholestrol.

If you've been examined by two neurologists and everything has turned up normal, you should take their advice and stop worrying about your twitches. Continuing to try to figure out what's causing your twitches by searching the Internet is a very poor use of your time.

Thanks, trfogey. I know I sound selfish, griping to people with ALS and other debilitating MNDs. But I can't help it; my right thigh is twitching as I'm typing this.

Thanks, trfogey. I know I sound selfish, griping to people with ALS and other debilitating MNDs. But I can't help it; my right thigh is twitching as I'm typing this.

You can help it -- you are choosing not to help it. All of the things that you say that your two neurologists have checked are normal. If the neurologists had found something to be concerned about, they would have told you so, and they would still be looking for an answer.

We say it very often here -- twitching is not used as a diagnostic indicator for ALS. There are other, far better indicators that the doctors use to make that determination. You have not shown any of those indicators and that is why your neuros are telling you to put this aside. Continuing to obsess over something that your neuros have dismissed doesn't make you look selfish -- it makes you look foolish. If you don't mind being thought foolish, by all means, carry on.

PS: Your GERD, tension headaches, and sinusitis aren't symptoms of ALS either.

Twitches are very disconcerting at first, but after you have them 20+ years you won't hardly notice them. Seriously, I have had them that long and they are just a part of me now.

Your neurologists see no reason for EMG's. I would not push it, because first it would probably be totally clean, and second it is not a definitive test for neuro disease. It can only support clinical observations that as a whole indicate ALS, or some other conclusion.

You have zero clinical signs. Spare the aggravation and worry. Best wishes for getting this off your mind.

I can sympathize with you. I have the exact same symptoms. I have been treated for GERD for about 3 months with prilosec. I have a "lump in the throat" feeling and muscle twitches. Doctor told me the same thing. No weakness......no need for further testing. He called it Benign twitches. I will admit to having anxiety over all of this, which is understandable. We are used to getting some illness, then getting better.

The important thing to keep in mind is that none of this will affect your daily life if you don't let it. enjoy every day, and relax. Without weakness you have nothing to worry about.

Thanks all. Your posts made me feel a bit better, for now at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back