Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
OH
First off I want let everyone who is suffering from this horrible disease know that I appreciate your replies and pray you all live the best life possible. Hopefully a cure is found soon.

I'm not really sure whats going on but for about 5 months now I have had twitching all over my body in every place possible, even inside my ear to where I can hear and feel them and they are very annoying.

About 4 days ago I started getting a feeling of being short of breath and it has shown no signs of getting better. I do have twitches in my stomach and chest that I just noticed when the shortness of breath started. I feel the twitches a lot more when I am laying down and it seems even harder to breathe laying down. What I'm wanting to ask is, is it possible the twitches are causing the shortness of breath and has anybody with ALS started out with early respiratory onset just a few months after the twitching started?

I can still walk and stand on my toes and heels and climb stairs. I'm just really worried at the moment.

I can't get the doctor to refer me to a neurologist.

Thank you for any replies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please read this if you have not already done so: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms!

Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless. Up to 70% of people twitch. Twitching is almost never the presenting symptom of ALS.

Shortness of breath is very common. If it has only been going on for four days, very likely it’s from allergies or the start of a respiratory infection. If it persists, see your doctor.

But nothing in your post suggests ALS.

Thank you karen for the reply, i have a doctors appointment tomorrow to get routine bloodwork done. I had to switch doctors bc my last one moved to another state.
Gonna mention all of my problems to her and hopefully get this figured out. Thanks again.

I wanted to post a follow up. The shortness of breath went away, but the twitches are still very much here. This morning after i woke up i started getting a nonstop twitch in my left bicep and it has been doing it for hours now to the point where it is feeling weak and fatigued. I can still use my arm tho. With the twitches going on for about 6 months now, how possible is it that it could be beginning of ALS?

Jeff, what has your doctor said about your symptoms? Last post you made it sounded like you had an appointment where you would be addressing your concerns.

They did blood work to check my thryoid and the levels were off but it was only bc i had been out of my meds and couldnt get into doc right away. They also said there was an inflammatory marker off but didnt say what it was. And that they would call in 2 months.

Mate twitching means nothing - have you read the sticky? If you are concerned you should return to your doctor who is paid to figure this out with you and can examine you. All the best sorting out what is going on, it's really not how ALS starts :)

Well my doctor set me up to see a neurologist but its not for about 2 months. Not sure how much longer i can handle this. Almost 7 months this has been going on and 2 days ago i started getting a weak feeling in both of my arms. I can still use them my hands seem to be fine right now. Not only are they feeling weak but they are aching all the way from my shoulders to my elbows. Does this sound like it could be a neurological issue. I havnt did anything to cause this pain. No weightlifting or hard manual labor. Twitch alot in my arms and shoulder blade areas to though im getting twitches all over even in my ears and eyes. Lower back hurts to when i bend over or stand for to long. Some neck pains also. I really hope this is figures out asap. Im losing my mind.

Jeff, it really sounds like you are looking to build a case for having a serious neurologic illness. In your initial post, you were very concerned about shortness of breath. Then it improved. Rather than being relieved, you then went on to worry about twitching and feeling weak. We assured you that is not consistent with ALS, but apparently you can’t be soothed, and you’re off looking for problems again.

Now it’s a weak “feeling” in your arms, pain, and aching.

Please reread the “read before posting” stick. “Feeling” weak is not the same as true clinical weakness determined by a physician. Pain and aching are sensory symptoms, not how ALS presents. We’ve already tried to reassure you that twitching is meaningless.

So you aren’t saying anything that remotely suggests ALS. Please continue working with your doctor regarding your symptoms. I’m sure the neurologist will also reassure you. But you don’t need to be here. You may give us a followup after you see the neurologist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back