Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
MA
Hello. I suffer from health anxiety and am in a deep rabbit hole right now. I am looking for any sort of help right now as I am struggling hard.

About a month ago I started getting leg cramps, with twitching to soon follow. It’s all over my legs and now has spread to other parts of my body. Of course the first thing Dr. Google tells me is that twitching is one of the first signs of ALS. I am 100 percent consumed into thinking this is what I have. And am just waiting to start losing muscle strength. It is an awful way I am living, and I’m so scared. I know I need to stay off the health net, but I keep finding myself looking for a loophole to explain why my symptoms have presented. I have seen my GP and got blood tests all coming back normal. Still waiting on Mercury though. I have an appt with my neuro next month.

Please help talk me off this ledge. Is it possible I have ALS at age 39/female with no family history? I know you aren’t doctors, but I also know you have the wisdom I need when it comes to defining ALS.

Thank you so much for your time. It is so greatly appreciated.

ALS doesn't show up that way. Yes, some rare people get it at 39 without its being genetic, but you're not describing it. Nor are you describing "symptoms" above and beyond the cascade of events that many of us have from time to time, perfectly normal. Paying attention to sleep, stress, nutrition, hydration and exercise all help to disrupt that cycle.

The best way to get and stay off the ledge is to find a counselor you can relate to, who focuses on health anxiety. If you are already getting counseling, it's obviously not enough. Taking the time to find the best resource for you is a great investment, as this is not how you want to spend the next 50-odd years.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you Laurie. I am just so scared. My arms and legs feel fatigued and shake when I try to do Pilates or Yoga. Should I request to have an EMG?? My mind is racing and my therapy isn’t till next week!!

Since you will be seeing a neurologist, why not let them decide whether or not an EMG is indicated? Many neuros won’t recommend them if your exam is normal and your history doesn’t line up with ALS, which yours doesn’t. However, if getting that clean EMG is the only thing that will give you peace of mind... maybe you can convince the neuro to get it for that reason.

You say you’re just “waiting to lose muscle strength”. That’s very sad. Why waste your life worrying about a disease you don’t have?

Thank you for your reply Karen. So you’re saying my limbs being fatigued and shaky, and having random twitches throughout my body is not something that lines up with ALS?

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying.

Well I truly appreciate you telling me this. While it does give me peace of mind for the time being, I am sure something will creep up to make me panic again. Are you speaking from experience? Or just vast knowledge on the subject?

Ekr4eva, you don't have ALS. If you have health anxiety, you need to get that treated with counseling and medication. This is not the place to seek comfort for your health anxiety.

I wish you the best and take good care.

Thank you bestfriend. Although I am certainly not seeking help for my health anxiety here. I am here to ask the wisdom of you wonderful people if my symptoms are that of the beginning stages of ALS. I honestly mean no harm, only guidance into how I should proceed if any one on here does believe this is an early onset ALS symptom.

I think you've received pretty straightforward reassuring answers. Your admitted health anxiety is now driving you to persist in asking more questions and to continue to dwell on a site dedicated to supporting those with ALS and their caregivers. While you state you are not seeking help for your health anxiety here, it is very clear your anxiety is what is in need of addressing with the proper health care provider.

You have had three comments that say it does not sound like ALS all of whom have experienced / are experiencing ALS 2 in spouses 1 in herself.

I will be a fourth. I am FALS and have lost 5 familu members in my lifetime. Work with your doctor

hey sk777. I bet my anxiety related to ALS is worse than yours. Although there is no real winner here. I have 3 children under the age of 6 and am having a hard time being a good mother to them because I am so consumed with every single twinge in my body. This has given me hope by speaking with people like you to know I am not alone. And the moderators have also been gracious in helping me to move on to another forum that may be better serving for us!!! Stay strong. We will get through this.

Post relocated to own thread

Thank you Nikki. Which doctor are you referring to that I work with? A neurologist or therapist?

Please seek help with a therapist for your very clear health anxiety. Any other physical health issues would require you to start with a general practitioner and follow their lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back