Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
LA
Hi - first thank you in advance for responding. i read the please read first info and it was incredibly helpful but still have some questions.

i am a 47 year old male
Have noticed muscle switches a couple of times in the past but it had usually been one and done.
3 weeks ago had twitches in the right bicep.
I did what you were not supposed to do and hit up Dr google. Since then it has been random twitches every day. Most have been in the legs but i have also experienced them
In the arms, shoulders, back, and abdomen. Most are quite quick usually a couple of pulses at most and done. Also mostly while
at rest. Also occasionally some twitches that cause the whole limb to move. i had a couple of days where I would get an extended what I believe to be a twitch across the muscle that covers my shin. It came a couple of times per day and lasted for quite some time when it came even if i was active active. That happen ed a couple of times per day for 3 days but has not been back since Monday. i have not noticed a change in strength or have had any trouble with any tasks.
i would say I worry about my health but have never had health anxiety until now. i have not had a full night of sleep since I hit up google. i know my anxiety is probably trying the best of me but hoping some ok necan shed some light on my situation. i was able to find a neuro to see me on Monday.

Thanks!

Hi,

Please read here Read Before Posting to learn about twitching and the other things that bring people to this forum. Basically, twitching absent any other symptom would not give a doctor any concern about ALS.

All the best

It's funny, people highlight the power Google has as a company, but the act of searching has incredible power.

I agree, there is no reason to think about ALS, and you likely wouldn't have, except for a hyperactive search algorithm.

Live your life and get a night's sleep, which makes everything better, including twitches. Let us know what the neuro says on Monday...it does help others.

All the best.

Thank you so much for the quick replies. i have never experienced the level of anxiety i have been feeling for the last 3 weeks and it all started with a twitch in the bicep and a trip to Google now twitches all over including what i believe was my first facial twitch this morning in my jaw. Will share any results from my neuro appointment Monday.

Thanks again for your replies last week. Very helpful. I do appreciate the time you take to respond to so many who have questions or concerns. I find it to be one of the more reliable sources to turn to.

I have my first neuro appointment tomorrow and I am equal parts optimistic and fearful. Since my last post I do feel like my symptoms have evolved as has my anxiety. My PC did give me Atarax and I do feel like it helps some but still get spun up in some anxiety loops and it certainly hasn't done anything for the twitches or thinking about all my symptoms every waking hour.

Again first noticed visible twitching in my right bicep almost exactly 3 weeks ago. Since then the twitching has progressed to pretty much everywhere at some point but still predominantly in the legs. Started with the left and now I am starting to get more in the right as well. I feel everything from actual pulses which I assume are twitches to what I can best describe as buzzing that comes and goes at what appears to be a similar frequency. Most of the time these are short a couple of pulses or buzzes and its gone but a few have persisted for minutes. I also have what I would describe and this random very light tingly sensations but not numbness or pins and needles that runs through my legs. I also have had the various types of pulses and buzzing in both arms, buttocks, abdomen, and shoulders. Definitely feel like frequency has increased.

I failed to note the other day a strange sensation in my back that has been coming and going with frequency similar to the other body twitches/sensations. Feel like it started around the same time as all the other twitches. Sometimes together sometimes independently. Not sure if its pulsing, tingling, or twitching but does not hurt and not sure I would call it pins and needles either. Its feels generally close to center and protrudes out to the left.

I do get the occasional twitch that will move a whole limb. Usually just one at a time never really a series but can happen more than once over a period of time. For example last night I was sitting on the couch with my legs extended on a chaise and my leg jumped. This has been mostly in my legs but also in my arms.

I have also begin to notice more and more in my face and neck. It could be anywhere from near my eye to my jaw and neck. Started mostly right side now happening a little bit on the right. Some of it feels a little tight but also some of the random buzzes or pulses. No visible face or neck twitches that I have noticed except sometimes when my mouth is open my cheeks will twitch.

I do feel as if it has become more difficult to swallow especially today. I have a strange feeling at the bottom of my throat and feel like I have to swallow a couple of times to clear everything and most concerning is I did kind of swallow once incorrectly earlier when sipping threw a straw which made me kind of cough. No slurring that I am aware of and no one has said anything to me either.

Still no obvious weakness that I am aware of. I did drop a couple of things, 3 to be exact over the last couple of days but also have not had any issues buttoning my pants or opening jars. I help set up for my daughter bridal shower today no problem.

Lastly, I was at a work trip last week with my wife before the doc prescribed anything. Not quite sure how I managed because my anxiety was so high but did get some periods of relief when I was around others hanging out or celebrating their accomplishments. It was still definingly top of mind but for this short moments the anxiety felt manageable.

Thanks again for listening and providing any feedback. I am sure I am forgetting something but I think that just about sums up the last 3 weeks.

CJL, you have yet to see a Neurologist, have neuro clinical exam or even
more... an EMG. You've written a lot without any neurological observation.
That's tomorrow. Suggestion... copy and print out your posts above and
let the Neuro review it all so you don't forget anything or add more if
needed.

Until then...

Last edited:
Thanks again everyone for your thoughtful and caring responses.

I did have my neuro exam on Monday and everything in the physical was noted as normal although she did note seeing one fasic.

She reported low suspicion of anything serious but did schedule an EMG just to confirm.

Anxiety has been better but still spikes from time to time as I continue to be on the look out for anything that could be a symptom.

For example I feel myself today getting tounge tied or tripping over words as I am on the phone with my employees and customers. I do not think this is something I do normally but who knows.

I also noticed my abs and calves tremor in the gym today under tension which is unusual.

Thanks again for allowing me a place to share. I know there are a lot of us that show up with similar questions and concerns and your patience, consideration, and willingness to respond is much appreciated.

CL

Good Morning - I realized when I shared the results of my neuro exam yesterday, along with what I feel are new symptoms, I did not really ask the questions that were on my mind.

In the read before posting regarding slurred speech, it said that if no one is asking if you are drunk, you are probably ok. Does it generally present that noticeably or is it usually a slow build to that point? I feel the current state for me, is more a word here and there, but I feel like it happens multiple times per day, and honestly not sure if I am slurring, tripping over, or just mispronouncing my words. Example - I read and recorded a minute-long passage this morning and stumbled and mispronounced one word in the passage.

Would it be normal to present with twitching all over but mainly in the lower extremities for roughly three weeks before presenting with impaired speech? On Monday tongue exam was normal, with no fasics noticed.

I know I am anxious and hyper-sensitive to everything that my body does right now. Honestly, this week was a pretty good week following neuro until I noticed the speech problems mentioned above and in the prior post, along with some muscle tremors under tension in the calves and abs.

I can't thank this community enough for your patience and consideration as I navigate the process of getting the exams and testing needed to understand better what is going on with me.

At this stage, you should really go talk to someone who can ease your unfounded fear of a disease you don't have.

Good luck to you and take good care

Anxiety, inadequate stretching, lack of sleep, etc. can all tighten your calves and abs when you are trying to work out.

Missing a word or two (also a function of anxiety/dry mouth/winter weather) is not a lead-in to ALS speech issues.

No, ALS does not show up as 3 weeks of twitching leading to "impaired speech." And by your account, no one but you is questioning your speech. I'll bet your speech is "better" when you are just talking with people without recording your reading. But even then we all stumble and have to redo the word from time to time. We just don't think about it at the time so when we do start noticing it, it may seem that it is "worse" when in fact we are only hyperaware of something that is very natural.

You are good to go, but as BestFriends notes, if you can't let go of these fears, it is time to get help for them. Your life should not be hostage to concerns about a disease that you don't have.

All the best.

Hi, it’s me again.

Just when I have a couple of good days and I think I am in a better place a new symptom or new area of twitching pops up that send me down the rabbit hole.

If you read my story my twitching started exactly 1 month ago on the interior of my right bicep. It was a handful of pulses and went away and minus a puke or two really had not been back to the bicep.

Today the right bicep is really firing. These are strong visible and palpable pulses. It been happening of and on for a while today. Sometimes it’s just one strong pulse and others it’s a string of string pulses. The pauses between vary but they keep coming back.

No noted weakness that I can tell but definitely spiking the fears.

I have decided to see someone to discuss the anxiety while I wait until the end of May for my EMG which the doctor did not seem overly concerned about based on my office visit one week ago.

Should i be concerned about this new pulsing/twitching In my bicep?minus some of the pre sleep jerks that move a limb this It’s some of the most intense in terms of strength of the muscle firing/pulsing that I have had since this all began 1 month ago.

Thanks again for you continued patience and thoughtfulness as I continue navigate these relatively new symptoms and new found anxiety.

Please stop. Go talk to a counselor and cease getting terminally ill folks to handhold your issues. It's not cool, and it's inappropriate. Your issue at this moment is anxiety, not ALS. It is not for anyone here to figure out what else is going on.

Please report back AFTER your EMG.

Very sorry I did not mean to be inappropriate or insensitive. I will report back after EMG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back