Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
TN
City
Kingsport
Hi everyone, I'm sorry if this seems inconsiderate or a waste of time. I've had horrible health anxiety for a few years after a few health scares. Some 4 months ago I began having muscle spasms in my stomach area that would move my entire stomach, so I went to the doctor and they gave me medicine which did nothing. I ended up needing surgery for my gallbladder to be removed, but shortly after surgery some 1 week into recovery my face began twitching. I normally nervously whistle to calm myself as my eye was twitching as well as my lips, I couldn't even whistle at all.

Fast forward to another week later and I'm still having spasms in my stomach area, along with my right bicep. It then traveled from my right bicep to the thumb pad, and into my left arm. This continued for about a week and then over the course of a few days it began all over my entire body. I have twitches in my legs, butt, back, stomach, face, hands, arms, even my shoulder. The only reason I'm posting here is because I'm wondering if any of this at all is close to ALS? I feel like I have balance issues, but again I think it's in my head. I can lift everything normally as I did 4 months ago, I haven't noticed any weakness. The only thing I've noticed is the twitching only occurs when I'm laying down before sleep. As soon as I lay down my muscles will begin firing up. When I wake up my right shoulder is constantly numb and feels asleep for most of the day.

Last thing too, I've noticed another thing that follows these twitches is the feeling of numbness at times and pins and needles. I'm aware I have anxiety attacks due to the fact that my face will get numb when I overthink it and I'll begin profusely sweating. I visited my doctor recently and they said it'd take months to years to diagnose me however my anxiety is eating me alive. I'd simply like to know what you all think of this? Sorry if this all comes across as silly, it's just really concerning to me with how fast it's progressed. From a mild stomach spasm to body wide in the span of 4 months. It has no one set area either, it'll jump from my legs to my arms then face and back again. Thanks all.

Hi there- I have a feeling you've already read here, as you sort of answer your own questions as you have written them down in your post. But it seems like you'd also like a person here to tell you it doesn't sound like ALS- which it doesn't. It might be time to address your overwhelming anxiety, as it's clearly causing you a great deal of distress and extra physical discomfort (anxiety causes physical symptoms too!).

Please take care.

As you suspect, you are not describing ALS in the slightest. Please do read the post Shiftkicker points you to as it will really help you.

Hi all, just updating. I'll be going to my doctor soon, and then going from there. It's still persistent muscle twitches all over. I have several hotspots and majority of it happening in my leg has since calmed down. There was a brief period were it went into my feet and was constant, however that has calmed down too. I've noticed sometimes it's bad enough to make my toes move on their own, this is at rest still too.

The twitching has since moved to my face mainly were my eye will continue to twitch constantly, and my eyebrows. My lips do it too at times. The only thing of note that has changed really is now they've begun feeling like cramps, yet they don't fully form into cramps. My forearms will ache for a moment a type of burning cramp sensation then go away, parts of my calves twitch while I'm sitting in chairs which used to not happen. I should mention too this twitching occurs with incredibly deep twitches, they feel like they're electric almost, not just near the surface as I'd been having before. I have a mix of these and my typical twitching that I've had for over 4 months now.

I've also noticed my fingers shake when holding my hand out, both ring fingers on each hand move back and forth by themselves, in a very fast jerky motion, which I'm not sure what that could be, after using the computer once and playing a game my hand began having insane tremors when in a certain position and the index finger and thumb were moving on their own, this lasted until I went to sleep and when I woke up it was gone! Also, I've had a horrible burning pain in my inner forearm that went away on it's own too, it was a horrible pinch feeling when doing bicep curls that just vanished.

My tongue has also felt off, in that it felt like it was burning/tingles feeling. However that has also gone away, my tongue still feels slightly off and I do get lumps in my throat, which go away (anxiety). Most of what I'm experiencing comes and goes except for the twitches which are constant.

Lastly I noticed opening bottles feels much harder in my left arm, which is something I paid no attention to prior to this. I've always opened with my right hand, but recently used my left hand and it feels so much weaker. I'm still able to open them and I'm not sure if it's just me not being used to it, or the way I'm gripping, or strength related. I don't think it's strength related though as I'm able to still open them even super tight bottles with the right method. I moved furniture a few days ago and noticed no loss in strength, just pain, and also no cramps but rather the pre-cramp feeling.

I'm just posting as an update, and I'll update this post further with what my doctor says and what happens from there, I'm just hoping someone going through the same thing may see this eventually. I wish all of you the best of luck.

Hopefully you will be back to report good news.
Nothing you describe makes us think ALS, as you know twitching means nothing, no matter how much it might bother you, all these 'feelings' make me confident your doctor will find something that can either be treated, or is not significant as an illness.
Wishing you the best.

You have received good insights. There is no reason to think about ALS. But health anxiety, even when spawned by genuine scares, is very treatable with counseling, so I hope your path leads you to that investment in yourself.

Best,
Laurie

Update, then I'll post one final once I see the neurologist. Doctor tested my balance, strength said it was all fine. He didn't test reflexes, said my speech sounded fine too. Kept asking about my twitching and I noticed when he stated he didn't know what it was I started having massive internal buzzing feeling in my legs. He said he couldn't see it, or feel it. But he didn't feel comfortable telling me what it was, other than that he didn't think he was ALS.

Another update on the twitching, it seems to have calmed down A TON. I still have twitching, and some days it's much worse than others. A few nights I'll go without even noticing it much just a few tiny twitches. Other nights it's rapid fire constantly.

Also I have weird sensations, of stuff touching my skin. Like maybe a hand gently touching my throat, but no twitches there or anything that I've noticed.

My tongue is still burning and feels swollen at times, but no one has noted any speech changes and I have no difficulty swallowing.

My left hand, the one that WAS weak can now open every bottle again, however I've developed trigger finger on my pinky. I have to wear a finger finger splint, there's no loss of strength that I've noted in it. It gets better throughout the day when I take it off to do stretches. The only other thing, is my right arm feels super stiff at the wrist, but I was having pain in fingers and I've had that for literal years now, it comes and goes. So I'm hoping it's just carpal tunnel. The doctor also asked about my handwriting, to which I noted it's normal.

Blook work all came back normal too for everything tested, except low Vitamin B12, so I'm taking 1000mcg a day now.

That's all great Sandy!
Just let us know after you have seen the neurologist as you can clearly see already that there is not a single thing of ALS in what is happening. I do hope things either just settle back to normal or they figure out what is happening, but I'm sure you already know there is no terminal disease process going on.
I wish you the very best.

If your B12 was low, I would ask the doctor about a balanced B supplement as well, as the Bs work together and a burning tongue can be symptomatic of multiple nutritional deficiencies, including the Bs. So I would make sure you have been assessed nutritionally overall.

I apologize for posting so soon, my twitching has calmed down a considerable amount. It's barely noticeable now, but I noticed on my left arm. I was exercising, and after doing shoulder presses with 35lb, I could NOT lift my arm anymore, it wouldn't move no matter how hard I tried. This was after a short period too, now my arm feels incredibly heavy. I can lift normal with my right. After resting for around 15 minutes, I picked the weight back up and I could actually lift it again, albeit it feels super heavy now compared to before? Is this fatigue or actual weakness.

It's overuse of your muscle when working out. It happens to everyone at some point who goes to the gym. Are you new to working out? If you are a regular gym goer, than you know this type of over use injury happens from time to time

As already mentioned, let us know AFTER you have seen the neurologist. No need to update with all your aches and pains that happen between now and your neuro appointment as they have nothing to do with ALS.

Until then.

Last edited:
that is overuse, NOT ALS

See a doctor with any concerns you have please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back