Diagnosis
09/2011
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Podunk
I'm not much of a TV watcher, but there are a few shows that I have to catch up on every now and then. When my ex was here for the holidays, we were saying it would be great for awareness if a prominent TV show character were to get ALS. I know there was some talk on the FB Hugh Laurie for ALS Spokesman page suggesting that Dr. House should get ALS. So we joked around for awhile about who could get it and how that would work into the plot.

Some of the shows we came up with were:

Dr. Shepherd on Grey's: But this might be too much like Dr. Green and his brain tumor back in the ER days. Still, would be great, world famous neurosurgeon gets ALS, brilliant surgeon wife must take up his load, etc. It's not any more far-fetched than some of the other things that go on on that show!)

Sheldon Cooper on Big Bang Theory: while this might go too Stephen Hawking-ish, I would give anything to hear some of his more memorable diatribes coming out of a Tobii! And I have my money on Leonard can't handle it and moves out and Penny moves in to take care of him!

Marshall or Robin on How I Met Your Mother: This was a real toss-up. We don't think it would work if it were Barney, Ted, or Lily, so that just left Marshall or Robin. Either way, they're all young and in the prime of their lives and BAM... that would REALLY drive it home for a lot of people!

Anyways.... so, call it morbid, stupid, brilliant, ingenius, whatever you want. For anyone who is into this kind of wishful thinking (and I keep telling myself they're not REAL people, so hey, wish it on whoever you want from TV land!), would love to know your ideas! (and also have some confirmation that I'm not the only one who has crazy thoughts like this!)

~ Sarah

Somebody got too much time on their hands?

AL.

It's ok, i know you are stressed about that football game tomorrow between Ravens and Texas,

I was stressed by San Fran winning.

AL.

Too late now but since is't all make-believe anyway Charlie on Two and a half men. Then Allen could have finally saved his bacon. Enjoyed your take on it all, nice to read something entertaining about this whole thing. Great post. Ty.

I think it's a great ideal maybe if ALS was talked about more on TV Then the government might give us more help because if you don't get Medicaid then you don't get much help. I am not against Medicaid I just wished there was something out there for all of us so that our loved ones aren't in the poor house when our journey is over. I think TV is the way.

Frankly I was very disappointed in a Criminal Minds show that aired this fall. A former wife of one of the agent's appeared and told him she had ALS. At the end of the show, she committed suicide with him in the room. Really. That's what we're supposed to do? No respect for our situations or for human life in general. I've quit watching what was one of my favorite shows because of this.

I've recently seen two television shows with ALS characters. One is an episode of "Scrubs" from season 7 called "My Number One Doctor". You can stream this from Netflix or Youtube. You probably will find it to be a less than accurate picture of ALS, but it is television and that means entertainment not education. The other show was an episode of "Suits" on Usanetwork called "Dirty Little Secret" which had a more accurate depiction of ALS. You may find this on sidereel website.

kiwisally... BWAHAHAHAAA! That sure would cramp ole Charlie's style... and you know Rose would end up as has CALS and he would hate it! HA!

seaside, thanks for the headsup on those two. Love Scrubs... probably saw it in my pre-ALS-and-total-ignorance days and had no clue what it was. Will have to check that one out again.

I had not considered Rose stepping in but she's a good option. I was thinking more along the story line of how he would continue to cavort with help from his CALS.

I know this isnt exactly what youre talking about, but Family guy has a Stephen Hawking character. He usually is making fun of himself or others in the "sketches". At first it used to piss me off, but then I found out that Prof. Hawking is actually in on all of it and often times writes or approves the material for it.

As for the show that had the person commit suicide- I didnt see it, but Im curious if they did this because of the Dr. Kevorkian stuff. When all that was going on, it came out that he had helped an ALS patient commit suicide. I believe (not possitive), it was the ALS patient that he messed up with. I guess, because of the paralysis, the dr had to push the syringe of meds into him, which in turn killed him. And he video taped it. It was considered murder because he pushed the button. In the other cases, he provided the meds, was there for support, but the patient themselves actually pushed the button.
Its a very sad situation. The family of the ALS patient was 100% behind the PALS and the Dr- and still are. Anyways- maybe this is why they took that route.
who knows.

I didn't get the impression it had anything to do with Dr Death. This was a side-story on 2 Criminal Minds shows - the first one, she showed up as the ex-wife & told Rossi her diagnosis and the next one, she died - took an OD and then called him so she wopuld dfie in his arms. Pretty grim./

Awwww man, I just now saw your post! I missed it! Hopefully it'll replay soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back