Diagnosis
12/2018
Country
US
State
NC
City
Get Real
How did all the different cable TV shows agree to have their commercial breaks at the same time? :)

I've already wore one clicker (remote) and had to have another sent.

And.... how do some of these insurance companies who must be paying millions maybe billions
for their countless commercials afford to pay out claims?

Finally.... some of these drug commercials state possible side effects that would me think you'd
have better chances to just live with what you have. :oops:

some of these drug commercials state possible side
I find the practice of pharmaceutical companies advertising directly to consumers to be appalling. Notice they don’t say anything about how much the drug costs? Other than just before an election, it seems that up to 1/3 of commercials are pharmaceutical ads. The only thing I find more offensive are political ads.

I think the insurance company commercials are funny.

I haven't watched commercial television for over 20 years ....
lots of people just can't quite get that as this common conversation goes:
someone: Oh you know that ad about xx?
me: No I haven't watched tv in years
someone: Oh, ok, but I'm sure you would know this one ...
me: sigh

Over a year ago I had someone staying for a week and I went to show him how to change over to the digital television functions if he wished to watch anything as I go to bed around 8-8.30 pm each night. Something must have damaged the aerial at some point because all we could get was some seriously pixelated, broken up images and not always sound. After about 10 minutes I shrugged and said I guess that idea just fizzled out. 😁

I believe one of my sons had watched some sport about 2 years previous to that when staying here, so it used to work then ...

Tillie, your Australia is a beautiful unique country with unique people like yourself. I've been there and after
I sincerely considered moving there through a job offer. Zero family support on that thought.

No TV in 20 years?? I can't fathom.

My father was into early TV electronics, we were one of the first in our neighborhood to have a TV.
We were one of the first to have a colored TV and one night neighbors came over to see it. He also repaired
TVs for friends, relatives and neighbors on the side. Chip off the old block... I hold five FCC licenses
(Federal Communication Commission), Three are marine (GMDSS) and Commercial Broadcast.

My hat is off to you. Again, I couldn't begin to imagine. :)

But.... your computer monitor is a television device and the www or .com is one of the largest platforms for
advertising.. Maybe equal to cable TV.

What gets me ill is when I click on a news item and they've linked to a video and locked a damned
product commercial up front you have to bear through before you watch and listen to the story.

Karen... not too many years ago there was a federal law called the "Truth in Advertising Act." or
something like that.... wonder whatever happened to that. :)

Last edited:
Yeah my family were early uptakers of television too, and we were very early to have a colour tv. I think my grandfather ordered one for himself, my family and my fathers brothers family the moment it was possible to do so and it was in this gorgeous cabinet and made in Germany.

I do watch stuff, I just don't watch 'television'.
I have netflix, stan (the aussie netflix) and foxtel on my mobile phone (which I can broadcast through my tv and stereo). Actually most of these I get free as my kids subscribe and they give me their login details!
I have youtube of course, and I create a lot of video (just finished uploading to youtube now and popped in here again)

I don't go to news websites, and I don't click randomly (well I try not to).

I didn't say I don't 'watch things on a television device', only that I don't watch television 😁

To be honest, a lot of it started when I had 4 children, a husband and 1 television. I rarely got to watch what I wanted, or I would miss the start, or the ending. I love reading, and now mostly I listen to audio books, but I also like creating content. I also love vinyl, and can easily amuse myself for an evening playing records.

I've been a computer nerd for quite a while, and more interested in being interactive, making choices, and creating. Different strokes eh

I rarely watch anything on the 'tv screen' for even an hour a day through the week, but have been known to take a day off occasionally and binge on some series, probably some new documentary 🤗

I think most aussies watch a lot of tv. I'm sure the advertising is rubbish here just as well.

I don't think I've suffered from the lack of tv, but I don't know if I'd be able to tell :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Funny you say you can't fathom no tv in 20 years, as I can't imagine spending all that time sitting and watching what is served up at me on someone else's schedule and with advertising. We all get used to how we do things I suppose.

I remember a song in the 70's, when I was in high school by an aussie band called Skyhooks.
It had a big influence on me and I pretty much stopped letting media influence me too deeply from around then.

switch off your station oh yeah!

maybe you know the original version and need more convincing - Norman Gunstan will do the job

that's enuff straya cultya I'm sure :oops::rolleyes:

Wow Tillie, that first video would have been right out of our
psychedelic generation from years ago. :)

We had a song over here (probably there too) by Don Henley
called “Dirty Laundry”.

I have a small vinyl collection too. My favorite is Jimmy Buffets
“You had to be there” album recorded live.

My favorite song was/is “A pirate looks at Forty”

It kinda leads to how I got the nick name “Clearwater Al”.
Hey… I haven’t seen a hundred dollar bill with a handle on it yet. :)
I’ve lived a good life, few regrets, three ex-wives so I guess I’ve now
been handed the Due Bill. Time to pay up. I did it my way. (Frank Sinatra.) :)

I wish it was possible that I could go back to Australia one more
time. I loved it and the people the little I saw in two weeks.
That job offer had me ready to go.... but the family nearly told
me "Don't bother to write" if you do. Including my wife.

*And to meet you. You are unique and you're an "Aussie".

Ok, back to TV commercials.

Last edited:
Al,

I have news multiview so I can see six channels at once and figure out which one isn't doing a commercial. Guess what? You're right. I flip it over to the weather channel and wait it out.

Everything on TV I watch is recorded so I can FF through commercials.

My father had me on the roof by the time I was 8 adjusting the antenna. We only got 2 channels (CBS & ABC.) NBC didn't come in because we lived on the lake and only the people who lived on the mountains around us got NBC. My father bought the first TV with a remote and also the first color TV. A bunch of guys would flood our house for football every Sunday.

I think it's entirely wrong to advertise drugs on TV. Do doctors really want uneducated patients to come to their office and demand a drug they saw on TV? We got tobacco off the air and now it's time to get the drugs off the air.

Karen, I can't stand political ads either. They are the most negative thing on TV.

I was going to run for mayor one time.... I was going to clean up Clearwater. My slogans were....
"There will be only one bar in this city.... on every corner."
"There will be only one massage parlor (what they were back then) in this city.... on every street."
"Thong bikinis will be outlawed.... for anyone over 70 years of age."
"Bar closing time will be at Midnight.... always tomorrow."

Liked by many.... scorned by more. :)

On second thought.... maybe this should be moved to the "After 5 Forum Pub." :)

Again.... back to TV commercials. My bad.

Last edited:
Thanks for the good laugh, Al. I miss my bikini days. I can't even find a picture or I'd post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back