Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Uk
State
London
City
London
You are all amazing people offering incredible support. I stumbled across this forum accidently but would appreciate an opinion on my symptoms.

I'm 40 years old with 5 mega young children, all under 6. In Sept 2016, I noticed my thumb was tiring whilst typing and using my mobile. From then, I stopped using devices so often and I didnt notice as much although my thumb still felt 'worn' texting.

3 months ago I had a baby. After 5 weeks, I started twitching all over. Random muscle twitching occurring once then moving onto another muscle all over my body pretty much constantly. I know twitching can be caused by stress so put it down to that.

Since having the baby my right arm has felt like a balloon is inserted in it. An odd description but it reminds me of the type of sensation of a catheter removal. My right index finger tip curls under at rest and my thumb twitches occasionally. Well the truth is my 2 thumbs and 2 index fingers will twitch like a tic a few times a day. If I spread my fingers out, some move from side to side - not all the time but sometimes. If I move my thumbs towards my other fingers, they sort of shake.
I've also got aches in my forearm and shoulder. My twitches seem to be more prevalent in this area but only one twitch at a time, not like the videos of als twitches on Google.
The cold makes my symptoms worse.

I'm left handed so hold / carry my babies and toddlers with my left arm. It's definitely my stronger arm. I feed them bottles with right arm and pick up things with my right arm. I'm having no problems with dropping items but holding items for a while can make my arm feel shaky or forearm numb slightly.

My gut feeling is something is wrong but upon thinking of als I just look at my babies and freeze with sheer fear.

Is it possible that for 15 months no further symptoms can present then within 3 months they can progress like I describe?

Thank you for your time.

Congratulations on your new baby. I don't see anything worrisome as to ALS. I would see your GP where your strength can be assessed and you can be evaluated for common reasons for what you describe, from vitamin/mineral deficiencies on up. As you know, simple overuse injury/nerve compression are also obvious possibilities. But the odds against anything serious are well in your favor.

Best,
Laurie

Laurie,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I've had problems logging in to officially thank you.

The gp is referring me to a neuro which terrifies me. Can I ask if als muscle twitching can 'move' a limb? Say I'm resting and my bicep gives a one off twitch which seems to be how my twitches present, and my arm subsequently moves slightly with the twitch? The same applies for my leg in bed... a very strong back of thigh twitch and moves my leg slightly?

My pincher grip has 'missed' picking up tea towels and keys a few times over the past week on both of my hands and the right grip feels tired/stiff but then I've taken tabs this morning and it gave me no trouble.

I'm typing this reply via my mobile phone and can see my tips of the fingers twitching back on the fingers I'm not using. Very odd.

God bless you all.

Twitching means nothing. My neuro has constant twitches in both legs and has had them for years. They get worse when he is stressed, works out too hard, or lacks sleep. Sound familiar?

Having 5 kids under the age of 6 has to be one of the most tiring and taxing jobs one can have. If I were you I'd get all my vitamin levels checked, make sure I got 8 hours sleep a night, and meditate. If that's not possible, your twitches will probably continue.

Thank you Kim.
I've got a gp appointment today to do as you suggest.
Although I'm twitching head to foot, I'm more concerned about the thumb twitches and finger twitches which make the digit move. So many articles state thumb twitching is a sign of ALS. It's not going away either - it's happening more and more daily. My thumb and index finger feel tight and like the joint aches.
I'm so appreciative of your reply. Yes you're right, the managing of the children is a huge task, non stop but I've always coped before without these symptoms :-(

Thank you Kim.

Regardless of what you have read, twitching on its own means absolutely nothing, even if it causes movement. Hope your doctor can sort things out with you.

Thank you for your replies. Must neuro app hasn't come through yet. Within the past few days, the muscle twitching all over has subsided slightly but they are still present in my bicep and i'm having cramps in my forearm and the back of my arm feels like the sensation when you bang your funny bone after doing basic tasks (wiping kitchen unit). I'm kind of freaking out here with these symptoms. My gp checked my wrist/arm and knee reflexes which appeared normal.
I have no idea how you remain so calm with something so stressful.
God bless.

Hi, Mum.

It is probably easier to remain calm when you know that everything you have described has led NOBODY here to think ALS is even a remote possibility. Don't even think another minute on it.

Morning Mike.

Thank you for your reply.

I don't think I'll rest until I've been checked out by the neuro. The thumb twitching is driving me crazy, especially as there doesn't seem to be any other explanation on the Web why it's happening..and it's now happening a lot on both hands - one off tic movements but frequently.

The thumb muscle feels tight as does my digit.

I asked my partner if he could see my right arm was thinner than the left above the elbow part and he did see a difference (although rationally thinking I do carry a 11 lb baby on my left arm hence the muscle is constantly used).

The wait is long but the mind carries on in overdrive.
Wishing you all peace and blessings.

Please stay off the web and refrain from posting until after you see the neuro. Constant web searching and posting the same thing over and over here is fueling your anxiety. Step away from the computer and enjoy your babies.

I will repeat months and no failure to able to complete tasks, definitely not ALS. ALS is not a muscle disease, it is a Brain disease. The motor neuron dies and stops sending the signal to the muscle and the muscle then doesn’t work. People here will tell you things like they couldn’t buttton their shirt or couldn’t stand on their toes or all of a sudden tripped or fell for no reason. People with out ALS don’t understand that there’s no sensation of ‘feeling weak’. The muscle just stops working. Truly if you don’t undefeated how feeling weak is NOT a symptom, then you don’t have ALS.

Go to neuro, figure out what is causing your symptoms but in the meantime, put ALS out of your head and enjoy your family.
Best wishes,
Tracy

Morning.

My neuro app came through for the end of may but it's the only week I'm away on holiday. Typical. So I've booked a private app with a neuro next thur which involves a 30 min slot.

I want to get the best out of this app to alleviate the fears I have of als. Do I say outright I have a worry I have this awful disease and ask for reflexes to be tested etc?

Since I last posted, the twitches in my feet are visible when I stand and the other twitches are more pronounced than they were originally (like a pop and now a twitch).

When I lie down to simply rest, the jerks are more severe yet my gp states this is normal? I never had this prior to my c section.

I'm also experiencing my jaw shuts tightly in my sleep and wakes me up, like an abnormal reaction.

I wondered how much weakness would constitute muscle weakness before the twitches start? My right arm and hand seem weaker as mentioned previously. My thumb area feels tight and triceps tremour (what feels like a shake). I struggle to carry my 16lbs baby in that arm (I nirmalky carry him in the left arm). Just wondering if I've had some form of weakness (missing picking up a tea towel for instance) and not accepted it and have the all over twitches.

Anyway I'm by no means trying to upset people by posting again. I just want the best result from next thur but wanted to be fully armed with information before I enter the consultation room.

Hope you can understand.

The correct question for the neuro is what is wrong with me? If you say do I have ALS then s/he can simply answer no. It is ok to say that you were concerned about ALS but do not lead with it.

I suggest reading the getting a diagnosis post near the top of this subforum. Some of the advice about getting medical records may be different there but the parts about preparing questions and the actual visit would be the same.

Thanks Nikki. Great advice and I've just read the pinned post.

Can I ask one further question?
At night time, I'm taking 4mg of diazepam to help me sleep because the twitching and jerking really gets to me. I can feel my muscle chill out and the twitching is vastly improved. Is this a bad sign as in I've read many pals use vallium/ diazepam at night to aid sleeping?

Greatly appreciate your time in responding to me.

No. That is completely non specific. If anything it is reassuring

Morning

I saw a neuro last week. My initial appointment showed -

Normal muscle tone
No visible large muscle group fasciculations
Strength normal on examination
Rather brisk reflexes to put it lightly
Plantar reflex flexor

She is requesting an emg which I have to wait 12 weeks for.

I informed her about my hand is getting weaker, especially my thumb area, and now I have constant twitch by my elbow and tricep. It persists if I rest and move arm. Drives me mad at night trying to sleep and every 30 seconds it's twitching. My thumbs have a mind of their own nowadays and twitch a lot more.

I don't have atrophy in my hand as far as I can see but can feel the elbow and tricep region is boney on the right arm where it twitches.

The cramps in my arm are much less since the twitching started. However when they do appear, they tend to be in the forearm and wrist.

If this is ALS, would it be typical to affect one muscle 1st ie tricep? I'm still able to do most tasks but have noticed holding the ipad in my right hand does make the hand shake.

Thanks for reading and just being there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back