Tube feedings and heartburn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcia Speakman

I currently feed mom through a G tube with bolis feedings. We have gotten to the place where she has heartburn for hours with every feeding. Needless to say she does not want to be fed and some days she is only getting 2 cans of supplement. She takes 2-40mg of nexium each day and takes regland. I have tried many things but have found nothing that helps. Is anyone familiar with the g tube with pump feedings. Can you tell me how it works and if this would end the heart burn? Does it take a different tube? How does it hook up? How many hours of feedings is usually envolved. Is the pump big, small, electric, battery? Can you go back to bolis feeds if it doesn't help? How do your do meds? I appreciate any info I can get to help in deciding what to do?
Marica

Hi Marcia,
I have a G-Tube and do my feedings by gravity, instead of a pump. I only do two cans a day of supplement, and I can eat some pureed food. It takes about an hour to do the two cans. You need an IV pole, bags to hold the supplement and tubing to hook to the extension set. I find that I don't have any heartburn with this, but might not be the same for everyone. I take most of my meds bolus, crushed and mixed with water. A couple I take by mouth mixed with yogart. I also take a quite a bit of water bolus.
I do not have any experience with the pump, but maybe someone else will have.
Hope your mother is able to get her problem resolved. With everything else, she does not need heartburn!
Leah

tube feeding

Hello Marcia, My sister also has a G tube and bolus feeds. She too experienced heart burn.
We were told to try doing feeding slowly or even do one half of it wait 20 min. or so then finish it.
Feed her sitting as upright as possible and let her sit up for 30 min. after feed.
Try several small feeds during the day instead of the usual 3 meals.
Finally her Dr. perscribed med to help with problem. Hope this is of some help to you and your Mom.
Take Care

Jane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back