Tube feeding side effects? Which Formula?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolSue

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
01/2016
Country
US
State
Kansas
City
Middle America
I have a feeding tube that I currently use for my meds. I see the day approaching where I will need to start using it for nutrition. What are the side effects? Will it be diarrhea after every feed? What formulas are best to reduce diarrhea? Ive heard of gravity feeding and a pump....HELP! looking for advice.

Thank you,
CarolSue

hi carolsue,
I had a rough start to tube feeding since the jevitiy caused me cramping and bad gas pain. They changed my prescription to osmolite and I've had no problems at all with it.

we put a couple boxes in a drip bag first thing in the morning and let it run a hour or two. Then repeat while napping. The drip feels better to me than dumping whole box at once.

I recommend starting now with one box and working up to see how it agrees with you. There are several options to try, including making your own. I'm glad I experimented before being completely dependent on it.

CarolSue,

It stands to reason the closer you come to real food, the better. My first choice would be to eat what my family is eating, with added calories, blended and thinned in a Vitamix. My next choice would be a formula without corn syrup like Liquid Hope.

Hi Carol Sue , Jim has had no problems with Nutren 1.5 .The dietitian at the VA started with this supplement to try.She used his current weight to decide how many cartons and water he needed daily. She suggested he could eat whatever for pleasure.Some day's he can eat better than other days.One issue is the length of time it takes him to eat anything.I'm so glad he has the peg for back up.Best of luck to you.

I like Kate Farms formula. I am currently supplementing to keep my weight steady, but I still eat by mouth. I had to get tubing for gravity feeds that allowed me to slow the feed rate. When it's too fast I feel nauseous.

I also use Kate Farms as I am sensitive to dairy and sugar. I use a kangaroo pump.

KW1234, my DME supplier gives me the kangaroo gravity bags, but they have a dial on the tubing to adjust flow rate. Only the dial kind of sucks-- it's like you can get way too fast or way too slow, but hard to get anything in the middle. How did you get a pump? Did you have to ask for it specifically?

Your DME can get you one. You need an order but should not be a problem. My sister used one and it worked out well. It is very easy to learn to use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back