Loved one DX
Diagnosis
12/2021
Country
US
State
TX
Hello,
My dad is vet, he 75 and was recently diagnosed with ALS. The news was devasting but as I am reading I am seeing that there is hope. I live in tx and he is arizona so the distance I think is the hardest thing (plus covid). My family and I plan to visit in January. I have read some very positive things on here. I am praying daily that he is around as long as he can be. He is struggling with depression and loosing his voice. He is leaving the VA next week and going to assisted living. Hopefully this move will bring him some joy because he gets his scooter and Ipad. I am really struggling with this ALS thing.. trying not get depressed myself...its so hard now a days to keep a smile when all I want to do is cry for dad. I am going to share this group with him. I think he will find it helpful. Bless you all :)

Very sorry to hear about your dad. Is he going to assisted living that has experience with ALS? I guess you know that at some point, there will probably have to be a different plan.

We would be happy to see your dad here and will help you both however we can.

It's OK to be depressed and to lose your smile at times, but as you will have read here, there are a lot of ways to stay connected with your dad even remotely. Every minute you spend together virtually or in person, is a gift to you both and will nourish not only your present but your future.

Best,
Laurie

Last edited:
Very sorry about your Dad's diagnosis. My PALS is in his 70's and his voice is hoarse, but he still enjoys Zoom with the family and listening to all the family members discuss their activities. My PALS had a scooter for awhile and enjoyed his scooter, I hope your Dad does as well. Eventually, my PALS had to give the scooter up and get a wheel chair. I don't know if you have seen the wheel chairs ALS patients have now a days, but they are quite fancy, the seats rise up and the chairs tilt so pressure can come off the buttocks. I hope you enjoy your visit with your Dad in January. My PALS and I listen to audiobooks together and we have begun to watch the very popular Yellowstone series together (there is violence in this show). Depression at times is par for the course, but I have found this forum invaluable for helping to keep a positive outlook and the strength to be a caregiver.

So sorry to welcome you here and that your dad has this diagnosis.
We would love to support him as well as you, and encourage you to ask questions and talk about your concerns here.

VA has taken good care of me, hope your dad has the same experience. They will get your dad a wheel chair if he can use it. If they haven't already, he should ask them for one. If he's still mobile they'll supply a cane or a walker. He should have been given a 100% disability (ALS is one of the diseases the VA considers presumptive and automatically goes to 100%). As things progress he'll get "Special Monthly Compensation (SMC).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back