Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
virginia
City
virginia beach
Good morning. I'm scared just to be posting here. I'm 47 years old (yesterday) and have been having some issues fora few months. I try to make a reason for everything, but I'm not sure what's really going on. My tongue has been twitching for over a month now. I walk fine but when I stop walking, I almost fall. If I'm just standing and talking, I lose my balance and have to "center" myself - my mom even noticed it yesterday. I was standing talking to my husband last night and I kind of had to rock back on my heels and catch myself because I felt like I was going to fall backwards. My hands work, but seem to fumble a lot lately, especially my right pinky. I never have been clumsy, but lately I've been dropping stuff - my phone, keys, etc. I try to say well maybe carpal tunnel or neuropathy, but it seems like everything is fitting and pointing to ALS. I also noticed an indention in the back of my right calf. My legs feel ok though - just sometimes a bit shaky in both - as if I've overexerted myself even though I'm doing nothing strenuous.

I've been forcing myself to do pushups to build my arm strength. Just this morning I was testing for heel and tip toes and did fine (I was actually proud of that). I also did the toe to toe walk which I was on here yesterday.

If I'm eating and swallowing OK - no problems at all there - would tongue twitching alone without eating/swallowing problems be indicative of ALS at all? Or does that twitching come after problems swallowing?

Thank you all for any replies. I appreciate your time.

Roseanne,

I would see an internist. It is a stretch to say "everything is fitting with ALS," because usually it doesn't present as you describe, but balance issues can cause falls, which can cause fractures and head injuries, which no one wants. Your internist can begin to rule out the many possible causes for your problems (some of which probably reinforce each other and are not separate symptoms) and refer you to a neurologist if/as warranted.

Best,
Laurie

My random observations are that Laurie is giving you spot on advice and that I fully agree that what you are describing does not fit what you typically hear with ALS. You have bits of this and that going on with balance etc. but no actual failures to be about to move or use a body part. My husband's toes just failed to move upward one fine day (drop foot), for example.

So please do see your Doctor but hold on the ALS thoughts. I am no Doctor, but I am not hearing it in your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back