Reason
Other
Country
CA
State
AB
City
Edmonton
I am a 36 year old male living in Canada. A couple of months back after I came back from a vacation in the mountains I broke out in an odd rash on my forearms and lower legs (not a bull’s-eye rash). I was also feeling very tired. Shortly after, I noticed the base of my feet going numb and tingly especially on getting up after sitting. Sometimes it's only in my big toe. I thought it was my sandals so I changed footwear. The problem then spread to my hands with numbness, tingling and electrical sensations a few days later. Sometimes I wake in the night and my hands are totally numb, other times I am fine in the morning. The numbness spread up my right arm a bit along the nerve going to the thumb. The numbness has subsided but now I have also noticed weird muscle twitching which started recently. I noticed it first in my thumb a few weeks back and I could see the muscle up my arm twitch as my thumb moved. Since then it has been very predominant in my upper right bicep mostly, but also in the triceps, shoulder and pectoral area. I have also noticed more subtle twitching in other parts of my body including my eyelids and left arm, buttocks area and my quadriceps, as well as occasional electric feelings on my skin if this makes any sense. It all came on quickly, within about 6 days. Prior to the worst of this I had gone to see a holistic doctor. He told me I had a fungal infection as well as a bacterial infection. He suggested I do a fungal cleanse which I started promptly. I have really noticed the more serious twitching started shortly after I began this cleanse. I am not having pain and do not feel particularly weak, my symptoms come and go in intensity, area and frequency. I am not having any trouble swallowing and my speech is normal.

I was to see my GP and he sent me for a bunch of blood work which he said looked fine, fasting glucose is good, B12 is ok. He mentioned that it could be viral. He gave me a cream for the rash but the rash pretty much cleared on it's own after a month or so. He is supposed to send me to a neurologist but I haven't heard when the appointment is and there are long wait times here.

Does this sound like ALS? Is it possible it's viral or fungal because of the rash? Also could this be Lyme? I don't live in a Lyme area but 3 years back I lived in Kansas where there is Lyme and worked alot in the fields and wooded areas. I have had some joint pain problems ever since I moved back to Canada from Kansas. I don't think they suspect Lyme here because it's unheard of.

Naturally when I started having the muscle twitching I took it upon myself to search on google, and of course the first thing that comes up is ALS and I am concerned. Thank you for any advice.

Yes,

It sounds like lyme.

ALS does not have sensory issues.

I would get checked for lyme, in depth

rgds

jamie

Thanks Jamiet. I am going to have a very difficult time convincing anyone here to give me a proper Lyme test but I will try.

In ALS would widespread fasculations come on immediately, like in a span of a week? Also do any ALS people have peripheral neuropathy problems? Sorry to be so long winded in my first post.

there other tick borne diseases out there I would test for all bacterias also if you had a tetnus shot or any other My first symptons started after a Tetnus shot and rash however all the doctors say it had nothing to do with my slurred speech. Pat

patricia sciarrino said:
there other tick borne diseases out there I would test for all bacterias also if you had a tetnus shot or any other My first symptons started after a Tetnus shot and rash however all the doctors say it had nothing to do with my slurred speech. Pat

Thanks Pat. I can ask about other tick borne diseases but my symptoms are so vague I doubt my doctor will be none too motivated to start testing me for a bunch of things. I haven't had any shots or anything. My GP didn't feel the rash had anything to do with the Paresthesias I had experienced at first.

If your md wont do it go to a infectous disease md and to a neuro You need a MRI as well to see if it MS God bless I know and feel your concerns Pat

Thank you all for the suggestions. In Canada I can't go to infectious disease clinic without a referral and I have to go to the neurologist which I am referred to and there is a long wait time (the joys of free health care). Yes I have considered MS as well. The odd thing is the neuropathy has somewhat resolved :confused: and I do not feel weak, nor did I ever feel weak except when the rash first presented. Thanks again and God bless you after I found this place and read some of your stories here it really broke my heart ALS is a devastating illness. I am also encouraged by those who fight to keep going and are beating the odds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back