Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
Last year about this time, I started feeling like I had ALS. Some twitching, trouble swallowing, feeling weak. The symptoms went away for a while, but now I feel like they are back. I have twitching in both hands sometimes, even when hands are at rest, my hands shake when I lift a heavy pitcher of lemonade, my hands just don't feel as strong as they used to. I can stand on tip toes and walk on my heels, but I can't stand on my left foot as easily as I can my right one, or for as long. I feel like I'm losing my mind with worry. Does this sound like ALS? I drive my husband crazy constantly trying to stand on left foot.

Also, one night I was playing piano and messed up because my left thumb just refused to move for a whole chorus of a hymn. It was over as quick as it happened, but still scared me.

Hi Sus,

ALS doesn't take vacations. I would think long and hard about what connects last year's time and this year's. A stressful event? More work? Less nutrition/hydration? Sweating/electrolytes? Often, there is something if you really think it through.

Best,
Laurie

The symptoms are just so odd. The hands trembling and shaking, and the trouble balancing on my left foot. Sometimes I can balance shakily on left foot for about 45-50 seconds, then a half hour later not even 5 seconds. I know ALS doesn't come and go, but this is scary.

Your symptoms are nothing at all like ALS. Do take Laurie's advice and double check your diet, stress level at work or hydration to weed out whatever is causing your symptoms.

Good luck to you and take good care.

Try standing on one foot for more than 5 seconds. I can't. ALS does not come and go. The best I get is some days I have really low energy, other days I'm completely exhausted. Try to get a handle on why you feel you need to be diagnosed with a terminal illness while showing none of the symptoms. That can ruin your life as much as having something.
Vincent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back