Status
Not open for further replies.
>I paid my own way to a nationally known ALS clinic and was seen by the clinic head. Within 5 minutes, even without an EMG, he diagnosed me with ALS. He did EMG the next day to confirm and it was dirty ... see a neuro at an ALS clinic.

and *that* is the truth! Damn Stanley ...

So you see Dr Stanley Appel? Have you been happy with his clinic? i have heard that he is an incredible doctor.

Have you asked him then about your questions you are asking here concerning denervation? Maybe asking him to really sit down and explain exactly where they are at. I know that if they don't know the answer they don't want to do deep discussions. I know how it was for us when doctors we were seeing didn't know what was wrong. They didn't want to talk too much about it, just try and send us on to someone else.

Did you find out if there are any other European ALS clinics you could try and get her to?

Tillie

Thanks for all the feedback and tips. We have a call scheduled on thursday and I'll be sure that we are prepared with all the questions we have to ask the doc.

My mother, who is a doctor herself, has said that in Sweden doctors are usually very straightforward when it comes to possible diagnoses. If you ask them heads on whether they think it is ALS, it's better for them to "come clean", because avoiding an answer will reflect poorly on them and could even result in a malpractice complaint. (Or whatever you call it when they failed in diagnosing something for a prolonged amount of time.)

My mother is hesitant about going to Europe. She thinks they're "just gonna diagnose her with ALS there, so what's the point", and I can sympathize with that. I guess the only benefit would be quicker access to Riluzole...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back