worried777

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hi everyone!

I appreciate any insight that you might have as I am not sure if I am totally off-base posting here. I have been struggling with some odd neurological symptoms and am just looking for some advice. I went to the doctor a couple of months ago because I was having trouble with my handwriting and felt like my grip had changed. My hands occasionally feel clumsy or like they do not work well. I still am able to write although not always well. My doctor was concerned and scheduled me for an EMG as I also had pain in my neck, bottom of my skull, especially behind my ears and occasionally in my shoulder blades. I have also experienced a buzzing feeling in my left shoulder and left foot, as well muscle twitches in both calves, thighs and the front of my knees. I also occasionally experience tingling in my hands and pain/stiffness in my knees and elbows/arms. Thank you for your help!

When is the EMG? That will tell you much more than what we can.

If anything, this sounds like a spine problem much more than ALS.

Best,
Laurie

Hi Laurie,

Thank you for your reply. The EMG is coming up next week. I went to another doctor for a second opinion as well who did a much more thorough job in detecting any weakness in my hands and arms. She told me that everything seemed fine except for ring and pinky fingers on each hand. I was concerned about a spine issue due to having poor posture but was concerned that I see to be having issues with both arms as well as twitches in the legs and was concerned that it is something that is affecting my entire body.

Worried, just curious as you wrote....

"My doctor was concerned and scheduled me for an EMG"

Then you wrote just above...

"I went to another doctor for a second opinion as well who did a much more
thorough job in detecting any weakness in my hands and arm.."

If the first scheduled and EMG why go for a second opinion until you have
results of the EMG?

Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for all of your helpful advice! My EMG was rescheduled due to some Covid issues but I had it about a week ago and got the results right away. The doctor was not able to find anything during the first part of the test and during the second part of the test found an apparently mild, slowly progressing form of carpal tunnel that I have had for a while and has recently gotten worse. He told me that there is always a chance that someone could still have ALS but that he could not detect any signs of it. Since then I have noticed improvement in the twitching and the pain in my neck and shoulders, which I think was due in part to nerves and a lack of sleep. I am just wondering if it possible it just wasn't showing up at this time or if it would have shown up even if it could be a very early form. Thank you for your advice!

Exceedingly unlikely. It can't hide from an EMG and it doesn't wax and wane. You may want to seek PT for the CTS. Congrats on the good result.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you, Laurie! Have a good evening!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back