trouble with bowels, what else is new!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad that there's no female equivalent of a condom catheter. I fill a 1 quart bag twice a day or more. No constipation with lots of water, fruit smoothies, magnesium and a half cap of Miralax. :)

I agree Bruce, I feel that holding back on fluids to lessen trips to the bathroom is often a big contributing factor (one of, not 'the') to sluggish bowels.

How are you going with increasing your fluid intake Kay?

If you have trouble with getting Metamucil down a tube (even if watered down), another option is Benefiber which is not chalky or gritty. You still need to up water intake with it, just as you would for any fiber supplement.

Just a FYI, if you mix things with water, warm the water up a little bit. It tends to thin it a little more, warm but not soup warm. My food was warmed up a little to much one time, I'll tell you what, that was a different feeling.

yep more like tepid warm.

If you add fibre you must add lots more water or the fibre can constipate, I know it sounds like a contradiction :shock:

You're right, Tillie.

I'm just thrilled I won't have to give up my psyllium.

Bruce, Catheter or no catheter, I don't feel well without lots of hydration. I guess I'll just have to wear thick depends. Right now I get up 2-3 times during the night because I'm a heavy evening water drinker.

Bruce you are so right. Never before have I wished for a penis but what I'd give for one now.

Tillie, operation hydrate a success and I do feel better, except for problems resulting from all the extra urination. I'm tethered to the gravity bag on slow water drip for now. It's the only way I can tolerate extra water in my tummy. Thinking they may as well set me up on the commode today, water in, water out.

feel like we are getting on the right track now. This is all just so damn hard, pun intended!

Kay,

I'm really glad you started this thread. I learned a lot and others will benefit from the posts on here.

operation hydration - definitely the arrangement of our anatomy is totally inconvenient in these situations. have you had any success with a female urinal at all? I did know one PALS some years back whose husband was brilliant at positioning it.

I'm glad you have one problem resolving even if you have new ones to tackle now.

my wife says female pilots use a "lady J adapter" would something like that work.

yep that's what I was talking about Pete but some find them really difficult to use successfully in a PWC or recliner. I think it takes dedicated practice to know how to place them 'just right' :shock: and a good sense of humour on both parties to get through the 'trial and error' period of working it out :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back