00/0000
Country
RO
State
PH
City
Ploiesti
Hello
So my story started a week ago when I woke up with internal tremors and several spasms in legs, arms, chest, shoulders etc. At first I didn’t think nothing of it, probably kept my mind busy, but it seems like I can’t get these involuntary spasms out of my system especially when I’m trying to fall asleep. I don’t have any clinical weaknesses yet.., I just feel very weak and sedentary.
I went to the neurologist for those spasms and she said everything looks good but if they ever happen I should just do an MRI or EMG.
And they never stopped
Now, the day before yesterday, at noon I started getting these head and neck tremors and twitches, even my eyes and my nose. And late at night, I started having difficulties swallowing and some weird throat spasm that lasted even until now. I haven’t eaten since then I am very weak right now, every time I try and swallow I get these spasms in my neck thru my stomach, sometimes my chest aches. My diaphragm is sore from all the involuntary spasms, it’s like i’m having a very hard time breathing, every time i say a sentence, i breathe really really fast. I can’t concentrate properly, I can’t seem to get the words out of my mouth, they usually come all twisted, but I’m not having any slurred speech. I’m afraid the spasmswill never end..and will never be able to eat properly again. I’m afraid of bulbar onset
I went to the ER a couple of times since then, both times they told me it was from panic or stress or anxiety but I just can’t believe them. And it’s worrying because I’m only 20, I know the chances are pretty small but I’m still thinking about that small percentage.
Is this really that worrying? Should I just check in the hospital and do all the possible tests; I already have an MRI scheduled for next week...but I just can’t seem to calm down until then.

Forgot to mention
I have a weird feeling in my mouth, like a numbness, idk if it’s because of my mouth walls or tongue, but if i had to guess i would say tongue is moving pretty strange; i don’t see any abnormal twitches i think.., just the regular. Every time I smile, my cheek muscles twitch, the front part of my neck feels really stiff( this happened for a longer time but I thought that it was because I am so sedentary all the time).
I used to love running about 5 months ago, didnt go as much recently, I feel like I easily tire, sometimes I feel dizzy even.
Just now I tried taking a pill and I had problems moving it to the back of my throat with the tongue, almost like my tongue was frozen still. I get some weird sounds when I swallow, not really like an ugly gurgle, but weird; not every time I swallow though, there are exceptions. I get a looooot of gas because of the swallowing problem and I feel like there s a ton of mucus in the back of my throat, if not mucus, something is blocking it; I don’t understand what’s going on.
Sorry for possibly being annoying, I remember more things after..

This doesn't sound like ALS at all, Andra, but perhaps you could see an ENT to verify that nothing is structurally wrong. Also, you have to eat, so try a thick smooth soup or a smoothie if swallowing is difficult. You can record your sleep on your phone to make sure you're breathing OK, and ask about a sleep study if you see undue movement or labored breathing. The good news is that everything that seems likely at your age -- and yes, this does include anxiety, which also magnifies anything else you might have, is very treatable. It also includes a virus, that can easily last a week. A fan when you go to sleep may help you sleep better. Keep in touch with your primary physician, as s/he is the person best able to help you.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back