Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
City
Sac
Good afternoon and thank you for taking the time to read and respond to this message , it’s very much appreciated .
My question is about the initial symptoms of Bulbar ALS . For a few weeks now I’ve been having random episodes of trouble initiating a swallow , it’s like my brain has forgotten how to . It happened the first time about a month ago and it freaked me out , so I googled and ALS came up 😳Since then , I know I’ve been focusing on my swallowing and been hyper- vigilant so maybe I’m just noticing normal things ? It happens randomly , most of the time it’s fine , but everytime it happens it sends me into a panic .
My voice is normal , I asked my partner , and I don’t have any trouble chewing or coughing either .

I guess my question is , is the failure to initiate a swallow a sign of bulbar onset ?
Again , thank you for your time , Jane

Doesn't sound at all like bulbar onset ALS - maybe go see a doctor, rather than trying to diagnose yourself with google.

Please read this if you have not already done so:

The first sign of bulbar ALS tends to be slurred speech that others can hear.

Trouble initiating a swallow is a very common problem that can relate to anxiety, or gastroesophageal reflux, or strictures (narrowing) , along with many other potential (non ALS) causes. See your doctor if it persists.

Please read this if you have not already done so:

The first sign of bulbar ALS tends to be slurred speech that others can hear.

Trouble initiating a swallow is a very common problem that can relate to anxiety, or gastroesophageal reflux, or strictures (narrowing) , along with many other potential (non ALS) causes. See your doctor if it persists.
Thank you , I do suffer from anxiety .

I did read the stickies before I posted , I understand it’s a failure not a feeling , so the fact I can swallow is a good sign . Am I right in thinking it either be constant and not a one time thing if it were bulbar als ? Also , is there always speech problems at the start too ?

Yes, usually it starts with speech problems. In ALS, functional losses are additive and progressive. So if something improves, that tends to point away from ALS.

Thank you for reading the sticky.

Yes, usually it starts with speech problems. In ALS, functional losses are additive and progressive. So if something improves, that tends to point away from ALS.

Thank you for reading the sticky.
Thank you for your reply , that’s reassuring to know since it comes and goes . Again , thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back