Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
WV
City
Southern
Since mom has gotten so unsteady it is truly unsafe to travel by car, it has been 6 months since last visit to ALS clinic. She did see local neuro, gastro, nutritionist, and pulmo when she got her PEG 2 months ago and the facility doc seems to be up on how to comfort her and deal with symptoms as they arise. I wonder if trying to make the trip could be worth it. I really need to get her some better way to communicate than a pad of paper. . Does the MDA help with things like this? We have no ALSA in WV. They are supposed to call me back on Monday.

I think the MDA should be able to help you. sounds like she is getting all the services she would get at the clinic. the only thing maybe you need is the speech therapist for a speech aid. have you called the clinic and asked if they could send or recommend a therapist who could come to you so she could get evaluated for a speech device. Would she use one though? sometimes older women do not want to use electronic help. Have you tried an ipad? some folks here use a program on their ipad to speak for them. that may be the easiest thing.

Unable to use hands well enough to navigate iPad. Her facility has good therapy, but the speech guy said that he was wholly unfamiliar with augmentative speech devices of today. Would love to get info on eyegaze or the one that uses the dot attached to classes. It takes her so long to write on a pad that it get frustrating.

Gil, I have an appointment with the assistive technology- speech therapist at the va on the tenth. I'll try to get some info in writing concernig the eye gaze stuff in connection to a ipad or other devices. I'll pm you when I have it and if you'll respond back with your address I'll mail you a copy. When I spoke to the tech on the phone setting up the appointment, she mentioned discussing these items.

> I'll try to get some info in writing concernig the eye gaze stuff in connection to a ipad or other devices.

I have also received my Tobii for PC connection and have the full Tobii w/ it's computer coming from thee VA next week. I'll let you all know what I learn. There is also a Tobii-iPad adapter for the Permobil pwc ...

Gil, I have an appointment with the assistive technology- speech therapist at the va on the tenth. I'll try to get some info in writing concernig the eye gaze stuff in connection to a ipad or other devices. I'll pm you when I have it and if you'll respond back with your address I'll mail you a copy. When I spoke to the tech on the phone setting up the appointment, she mentioned discussing these items.

Dalvin,
Please let me know what you find out about eyegaze for an eye pad. I'd be interested in learning about it also.

Tracy

It's for a windows 8 based tablet. It is right on the Tobii website. Medicare doesn't pay (and so insurance companies won't ), but it's much less than the normal eye gaze computer, and the new bs Medicare rules don't apply.
http://youtu.be/74bc4-BVLZ8

I have an eye gaze computer to get rid of, for the cost of shipping. PM me if you're interested.

Hi My husband uses the new assistive touch options on the IOS 7 ipad update available on the newer ipads. He uses the second generation Breeze to access iPad, iPhone and the iPod touch with the new Breeze Switch Control which cost about 300. Works great, is a bit of a learning curve but can do everything on his own. They are great at walking you thru setup on it.
Cheri
Sip/Puff Switch

Chris used a jelly bean switch and his iPad.

As long as you can move a muscle you can click the switch, could be elbow, head, foot, knee ...

I 'believe' apple are building some kind of eyegaze equivalent into their technology using the web cams, not sure if it will be ready for the new releases this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back