Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CA
City
Fair Oaks
I noticed that I am having trouble breathing no matter how deep a breath I take. I am scared,,it's making me very tired and stressed.

You need to see a pulmonary doctor and get tested to find out what your FVC is! Sounds like you may need a bipap.

what is a bipap in everyday life? And why would I need it..

BiPAP stands for Bi-level Positive Airway Pressure. It is a breathing apparatus that helps people get more air into their lungs. With the development of BiPAP, air delivered through a mask can be set at one pressure for inhaling and another for exhaling. This makes BiPAP much easier for users to adapt to and also allows neuromuscular disease sufferers to use the device. Because of these dual settings, BiPAP allows people to get more air in and out of the lungs without the natural muscular effort needed to do so.

Your question about having trouble getting enough air led me to recommend seeing a doctor.

Would I have to wear it alhe time?l Is that the one that goes in your nose? Oh my I am so sad.

Most people start with just using it at night. You can use a variety of different masks.

AL

Most people start off only using it while sleeping, This usually gives the respiratory muscles enough of a rest the are okay during the day.

well that's reassuring kindaof...my last o2 sats were 92 % and its just getting worst I guess its time. thank you

hey happy,
I've been using bipap for almost 4 yrs for sleep apnea. My husband said I used to snore like a freight train. I went to the pulmo for the snoring problem, had a sleep study done, and sure enough had sleep apnea.

I never had thought that I had more energy when I woke up until the last 3 weeks! I have to admit I wasn't always compliant with wearing it at night, fall asleep on the couch, too tired to put the thing on, any number of excuses.

However, in the past 3 weeks, I thought I would try it again. Since my diagnosed of ALS on 6/3/08, I hadn't had any breathing problems, my pulm fx was 96% on 7/1/08, but I do notice some shortness of breath at times. Those menthol cigarettes ( 6 per day ) don't help matters either and I know that.

But it's working great for me now, nothing to fear, we'll help you with it all we can.

keep the faith,
brenda

Thank you Brenda...I'm stepping out into the unknown with alittle faith thanks to you all.

Hi Happy. I fully understand. When they first raised the possibility of ALS I came here to prepare myself. I figured out that I would be ok if I needed help with daily activities or needed to use a cane or chair, learned to substitute certain activites for those I can do, the whole nine yards.

But I did not prepare myself for having trouble breathing. There is just no way to wrap our minds around that. I joke that breathing is over rated but I feel the anxiety, too. Good luck on you PFT's.

I get my "sniff" test tomorrow, and am no longer freaked out by the idea that my weakness is spreading to my chest muscles. Proof that human nature can get used to anything! :-D

Best luck, Cindy

HI Happy,

I have the breathing issue when trying to take a breath in deep. I have had it since last august while pregant and thought it was that. It did not go away after the baby or the recovery. It is not tooo bad, but I have to take a real deep breath in to feel that I am getting a deep breath. I go for a pulmonary vist on sept 9th and I am a little nervous.

BTW, my dad has a bi-pap for his sleep apnea. It seems to help him alot.

bless you!

april

Robin- I forgot that you basically hae a clean bill of health, (right?) I would have answered you differently if my memory served better. My Pulomnary Doc says that there are 3 reasons for being SOB:
  • Asthma, COPD or some other lung disease;
  • muscle weakness;
  • anxiety.
You might look into anxiety meds. If this is the cause of your breath being short, it is a lot easier to solve than the other two.

Good luck, Cindy

C-pap

I have a C-Pap (not a Bi-Pap) at present. It is great. I only use it at night or when I am taking a nap.

My O2 level has dipped to 81%. So I now have oxygen bled into my C-Pap.

It is a wonderful tool, if you need it. If you do happen to require a C-psp or Bi-pap, once you get used to the machine, you will find it is such a benefit. Other than wearing a mask. It is non-invasive.

I get most my answers from my Pulmonary Doc. They even help to refer me for swallowing studies, etc.

Hope this helps :)

Jim

Hi Jim- After using the CPAP I wake up feeling all shaky inside. My lungs burn like they did when I ran too far (back when I could jog.) I am glad you are able to tolerate a CPAP, though I suppose it does not make much difference. Whatever works, is what I always say!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back