Not open for further replies.

Stevemn

Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
12/2017
Country
US
My cousin was diagnosed over a year ago and was prescribed a trilogy. FVC 50.
After doing research, the Trilogy is rent only through Medicare. He's not ever going invasive and is progressing slowly. We were wondering if there was an alternative equivalent that you would own after a certain period of time. I did that with a cpap. Or, one that is similar that he can purchase with AVAPS.
Thanks!

Hi Steve, a refurb S9 VPAP ST-A is available on Second Wind (from whom I have purchased myself) right now for $1750 including humidifier and heated tubing, both of which I would not do without. It is substantively equivalent to the Trilogy in terms of therapy and I could help you set it up to likely improve on the Trilogy settings.

However, it does not have an internal battery to go out with. It has to be plugged in. So that would be the tradeoff. An external battery setup is possible and tech is getting better but the niche of the Astral, which is like the S9 but with a battery, or Trilogy, is having the internal battery.

If he is progressing slowly, depending on where he is now in terms of breathing, you might be able to make do with a portable CPAP w/ EPR to go out with. That's another several hundred, but still $2,500 in all for two machines may still be well less than those Medicare rental months. Let me know if you want a reco on that. It would be helpful to know his current settings if so -- I'll PM you so you have my info.

Best,
Laurie

I’m currently using S10 ST-A and I bought a backup battery from Amazon called Jackery (298kWh) and it lasts for a very long time with my bipap/humidifier. Haven’t went past 50% in a whole day of use. The backup was $299 usd

Thank you so much! This is great information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back