Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
FL
City
orlando
wondering the best mask to use for sleeping--we have a problem with ours and leaks. not sure which he wears, but it is a full mask (nasal didnt' work well at night). the problem is I get it on him with a small (30-40) leak, but he rolls a couple of times a night and it gets all messed up and starts leaking much worse so it is a lot of work to move him and adjust the whole head gear. he is not uncomfortable in it--

Another problem is sleeping on his side. his head sort of flops into the pillow so the pressure from his head will also move the mask and make it leak more. I try to prop his face up with a towel but that doesn't really work well. also saw a pillow with a cut out for a mask--anyone try that?

I never slept on my back before bipap. but always now. I don't roll over or put my head to one side or the other. I awake rested. I have a full face mask, too, with some leak.

Barbie...my pals uses a bipap...full face mask. To help control the leaks we bought little girl elastic head bands. After the mask is on we put the headband around ( under ears , over mask). It's just tight enough to hold the mask in place, but not uncomfortable. After a while it stretches to much and we use another one...but they come in packages of six and don't cost much.

It holds the mask on even when he's on his side.
The pillow with the cut out was a waste of $50.00 for us. It's been on the floor beside the bed after two nights of trying it. Just not good for him��

I like the head band idea! I have used those to hold tissue under his nose when he had a cold LOL. I just ordered one of those pillows...at least it was only $30 not $50 . oh well, it is only money:-?

Barbie, there are many things to try -- paper tape on nose bridge, mask liners (commercial and home-cut from any thin material), cotton headbands and the fuzzy rubber hairbands, better cleaning of face/mask, etc. but 30-40 leak is not "small" [if there's that much leak, there may not have been a fair trial of the other mask(s)] and flopping on side is going to cause more leaks because it really is more flopping than turning, I'm guessing. Despite your experience w/ a nasal mask, I'd still try the Circadiance w/ return insurance. It doesn't have a silicone seal [read: gasket] which is so often sensitive to position changes. What FF mask is he using right now?

If he really needs to be a back-to-side sleeper right now, which will obviously change, I'd try a pillow that can adjust with him more (order a money-back guarantee one from Amazon), maybe shredded memory foam inside. My thought is that changing positions is often due to discomfort as much as habit and he may need a new pillow or even foam mattress overlay to stay comfortable on his back, which is obviously desirable from the leak perspective. As the torso muscles go, the spine is more vulnerable anyway.

having the same problem with nasal mask. zit doesnt help that I cant really shave well anymore-was always so neat about that. The nasal mask always leaks bad-can feel air going into my eyes. Have a full face mask but have been reluctant to try it-cant read with it and I hear it breaks skin down.
What about the maks that just go into your nostrils?

I use what's called rem zzz' the are cotton mask liners. Before I started using I was always have what I call face farts.
Just google them I buy mine from cpap.com

Patrick

just order a full cloth maks---the sleepweaver by circadience. many say it works well--- will let you know.

He has a full beard and will not let me shave it so I think that contributes to his leak. the RT said not to be concerned with a leak under 50 and he has no problem with leaks in the 30s. I agree the rolling is due to discomfort, but again he will not even talk to the doc about it and will not take anything for sleeping or pain. he is not comfortable on his back with his head elevated and likes to sleep on his side.

Ptrick--I laugh because I know exactly what a face fart is! will look those liners up. we were using a soft gel cushion on the bridge of his nose and that helped but they are a one use item and the RT didn't give us enough. guess I can look for those too.

Barbie, Steve is a side and back sleeper. He flops around due to the loss of coordination and he can't use his left arm for.leverage. He uses the mirage quattro full face mask. The head gear does need to be tightened periodically....often when we get face farts:). We have a memory foam matress topper which has helped his comfort a.lot and he uses regular pillows. Sometimes when he is flopping around I feel like he is goimg to launch me off the bed!

I just looked at the mask--he has a flexifit 407

OK I have to ask, is a face fart the noise the air makes as it gets out between the seal and your face?

I'm presuming it is Neil :) Gives a pretty graphic image really lol

That what a face fart is lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back