Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Grafton
A cost question here. When they came out they told me my insurance is paying 85% and I'm paying 15%. My 15% comes out to 178/month. That means insurance is paying $1008/month, and together we pay $1186/month. I asked for how many months until we own it, and she said no, no chance to own only rent. This seems ridiculous to me. I looked online and the most expensive trilogy I found was $17k. At our current payments, that would be paid off in just 14 months. Why on Earth would insurance agree to spent beyond the value of the unit indefinitely???!

The lady said this covers service/repair, supplies etc. But I still don't accept that that makes financial sense.

We are applying for masshealth to cover the coinsurance but I'm still very annoyed by this. I don't get it.

Hi Kristina,

I always wondered why insurance would pay so much a month for a Trilogy also. We had 2 Trilogys which Medicare and our supplement paid around $1100 each for for 4 years. I never pursued it as we didn't have to pay anything out of pocket and we needed the service and repair as my husband was vent dependent. Case in point, we had numerous times that the vent needed to be replaced due to malfunctioning.

I would double check the ladies comment about supplies being included in that price. Our supplies were charged separately as were the 2 suction machines, cough assist, oxygen concentrator, and oxygen compressor.

I hope you can these covered, Kate

It's our ridiculous health care system.

I've had a Trilogy for over two years. Medicare and my supplement cover 100% but, when I add up the cost, it could have been paid off a year ago.

The cough assist was paid for and owned at the end of one year.

VA does the same

Once we get masshealth i won't have to pay anything, im just annoyed on principle. part of me thinks they must expect me to die soon enough that they don't bother with rent-to-own. but maybe im being bitter.

Rent-to-own was not an option for us either.

DH has had his Trilogy over 2 years now. We pay $106 a month out of pocket. His insurance (we currently are still covered under LTD by his employer) pays the other 80%. He is eligible for Medicare in January. We'll see what happens then.

I do agree - it's ridiculous!

Our Trilogy's are charged separately from the supplies, but I was told that it can't be bought because a respiratory therapist is required to monitor it, and that RT IS covered by the rental payments.

Although we have the VA, we use insurance for the vent because this VA would not provide the Trilogy, only the Astral, when Matt was vented. I was later told they would get us the Trilogy, but after our RT gave instruction to the VA RTs on it while we were in the hospital, we decided to keep things as they are. The company that provides it also has an Rt at the ALS Clinic

A Trilogy in particular needs RT oversight? As if.

Reminder: essentially, the Trilogy or Astral is a BiPAP with an internal battery for portability, whether used with or without a trach. No one is going to repair the battery. So where's the special care needed? Settings changes? Those would apply with any PAP.

BTW, you can buy a non-Trilogy/Astral (plug-in) used or new BiPAP or CPAP any day of the week online with a doctor's rx. Anyone who needs advice on this, feel free to post or message. There are also external batteries available for these, in case you wanted to travel with one.

I don't hate RTs or anything, but that statement is silly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back