Trilogy and diaphragm strengthening: Myth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenCat

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
04/2021
Country
US
State
NC
City
Asheville
Hi everybody,
Last week, on my 59th birthday, I got a Trilogy. It was suggested, although not really convincingly, that using it strengthens the diaphragm. I googled around and can't find research that supports that idea. Has anybody heard/experienced that?

It does not strengthen the muscles but rests them so that they last longer. It also helps you maintain the balance of O2 and CO2 that your body depends on for longer than your weakening unsupported muscles would. Let me know if you need to tweak settings as is common.

Early on, I used just to purge CO2 buildup. Usually an hour or so initially.when I would take it offe, I felt fresher

Hi, Liz. I got a Trilogy EVO last April. I tried to get used to wearing it by wearing it while watching TV, and then after a while trying to nap with it on to get used to sleeping with it. (I have a nasal cushion style frame, with the hose at the top of my head.) I started using it at night in early July. I did have to change from side-sleeper to back-sleeper, but I need to have the head of the bed raised.

Try to relax while wearing it, and find a breathing rhythm that is comfortable for you. You may find that sometimes it will initiate a breath for you. That is normal and depends on how often you initiate a breath.

It took me a while to understand how it manages breathing support. My hardware/settings may not be the same as yours so your details may be different. Once I got used to wearing it I was glad to have it. I am getting better sleep and don't usually need a nap. I found that sometimes mine would change pressure during the night in response to my breathing, but I no longer notice.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back