Diagnosis
11/2017
Country
Rus
State
Moscow
City
Moscow
Dear Sir or Madam. My daddy 57 years old.
In November 2017, my loved daddy was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS disease or motor neuron disease). Bulbar shape in the initial stage. Symptoms: the blurred (smeared) speech, twitching of the muscles of the arms and shoulder girdle, fasciculation (local contraction of the muscles of the tongue).

Now Daddy works at home, he drives himself, but he is very tired, has problems sleeping, often wakes up. The tongue twitches, it lasts for a long time, throats, coughs, muscles twitch.

I found an article on the Internet where there are statements, please tell me this is true or not ?:
1. Marijuana is a "neuroprotective agent". Does this mean that its active components can protect brain cells from damage associated with inflammation or oxidative processes?
Is it really so?

2. Scientists have proven that THC can stimulate growth of new brain cells (a process called "neurogenesis"). This property of the substance was first discovered by scientists from the University of Saskatchewan in 2005. The lead author of the study, Dr. Xia Zhang, noted that most of drugs damage neurogenesis, but marijuana - promotes growth. Do you have any statistics about it?

Can CBD or THC oil, pills or Canabis slow down the disease?

Please share your experience if you have one. Thank you!

Daria- welcome. I am sorry you find yourself here.

I don't think there's enough official research yet to say if cannabis can affect disease progression or not. Someone else may be able to chime in here about that, though.

What cannabis CAN do is help with reducing discomfort, sleep issues and with anxiety and restlessness.

There is lots of past discussion on this forum about cannabis use. I recommend you use the search function at the top of the page and look up what has been discussed already here- it gets discussed frequently. Quite a few people have shared their own experiences and posted a variety of ways it's helped them. There is also excellent discussions about CBD/THC and how different proportions of each can affect particular symptoms.

I started taking CBD oil when I was diagnosed, August 2015. This past year I added THC. Both my neurologist and pain management doctor (who prescribes the medical cannabis) believe it is neuro-protective and the pain management doctor said his patients with ALS and other brain diseases tend to believe that their progression is slower and they feel better. The neurologist who first diagnosed me actually said to get cannabis. This was before it was legal in Florida.

My personal opinion is that I either have extremely slow progression or the early use of CBD and now THC has made me progress slowly.
I take a lot of supplements but if I only had to choose one, it would be cannabis.

There are several very long threads on this topic here. Use the search and you'll find them.

I have used a medical marijuana oil for a year now. The strength is 12.5 %CBD /12.5% THC. I take .6 ml in the morning and .8 ml at night. I don't take baclofen or percocet daily anymore. Cannabis has the same anti-glutamate properties as Rilutek, the most prescribed drug ( the only one approved in Canada) for ALS. I still take Rilutek because I figure the 2 drugs compliment each other. The lower dose in the day allows me to function and higher at night helps me sleep. I highly recommend using it for ALS. Your english is way better than my Russian.
Vincent.

Tennessee hasn't approved medical cannabis!!!

As Shiftkicker said, this has been covered before.

Instead of repeating, use Search.

With respect to Greg’s comment which is a good point I wanted to briefly add our experience.

Brian has used this from early on after his Dx. It was a miracle for his cramps, and that was a big deal because his night leg cramps in particular were so severe they raised his leg right up off the bed. Quinine nor anti spasmodics helped much.

For what it’s worth, Brian is a slow progressor. Twenty months post Dx he uses a walker, talks, swallows, and breaths unassisted. Does that have anything to do with cannabis? No one really knows. Might be Rilutek. Might be dumb luck or good coffee. This is ALS after all and answers as we know so very well are hard to come by. My personal conclusion is highly recommend for cramps and relaxation.

Thank you very much, I will study the discussions in this forum.

Daria- welcome. I am sorry you find yourself here.

I don't think there's enough official research yet to say if cannabis can affect disease progression or not. Someone else may be able to chime in here about that, though.

What cannabis CAN do is help with reducing discomfort, sleep issues and with anxiety and restlessness.

There is lots of past discussion on this forum about cannabis use. I recommend you use the search function at the top of the page and look up what has been discussed already here- it gets discussed frequently. Quite a few people have shared their own experiences and posted a variety of ways it's helped them. There is also excellent discussions about CBD/THC and how different proportions of each can affect particular symptoms.

In our country, this cannabis is illegal, and how to get all this treatment here for us is another big problem. Here we are thinking how to do it, whether to go to the US. This is a long time, expectations, experiences, expenses, etc. But the main thing is if the pope flies to the USA, we will all be very worried because the whole family can not go with him, it's very far and so long not to see him. But we will have the courage to wait, it is important that there is a good result.

Thank you very much.

I started taking CBD oil when I was diagnosed, August 2015. This past year I added THC. Both my neurologist and pain management doctor (who prescribes the medical cannabis) believe it is neuro-protective and the pain management doctor said his patients with ALS and other brain diseases tend to believe that their progression is slower and they feel better. The neurologist who first diagnosed me actually said to get cannabis. This was before it was legal in Florida.

My personal opinion is that I either have extremely slow progression or the early use of CBD and now THC has made me progress slowly.
I take a lot of supplements but if I only had to choose one, it would be cannabis.

There are several very long threads on this topic here. Use the search and you'll find them.

Thanks for the answer! I liked your slogan - NO WHITE FLAG! Do you know the Russian language, how interesting. And for what reason did you study? Do you have relatives in Russia? I'm unfortunately not strong in grammar. I'll tell you by the big secret I'm using the on-line translator a little and then I edit the text myself:)

I have used a medical marijuana oil for a year now. The strength is 12.5 %CBD /12.5% THC. I take .6 ml in the morning and .8 ml at night. I don't take baclofen or percocet daily anymore. Cannabis has the same anti-glutamate properties as Rilutek, the most prescribed drug ( the only one approved in Canada) for ALS. I still take Rilutek because I figure the 2 drugs compliment each other. The lower dose in the day allows me to function and higher at night helps me sleep. I highly recommend using it for ALS. Your english is way better than my Russian.
Vincent.

I was told that in California this treatment is very developed and legal. But again I want it to be effective.

Many of our State have legalized medical cannabis and a few have made it legal for everyone. The products are regulated and very safe. I would suggest Seattle Washington or anywhere in Colorado. It really isn't a treatment like other things. You just buy the stuff and take it or, in States that are more regulated, you establish as a patient with a doctor and she/he prescribes it.

Daria, please stop quoting full responses, it consumes too much space for we gaze-writers.

I am not sure if in post 9 you are saying your father would move by himself to the US to live in a state where medical marijuana is legal? I don’t think he could bring it back home once obtained as it is illegal there.

While I think it is there is some benefit in both symptom relief and maybe in slowing progression it is not a miracle cure and I would not leave my home and loved ones for it. He will need you all as well to live his best life.

I am sorry if I misunderstood you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back