Treating excessive saliva

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, all ... As was noted, one of the problems that contributes to thickened saliva is that we don't swallow as often (also dehydration thickens saliva, too, which might be caused by difficulty swallowing), but there really is excess saliva production, too, with ALS.

I use the scop patch, which produces a dry mouth, but cuts the excess. But even with the patch, eating or drinking triggers a gusher of saliva, and I, too, spend a lot of time over the sink after dinner, rinsing and rinsing my mouth, and wiping it out with paper towels.

I use musinex to cut the thickness. I truly HATE the thick saliva ... feels like your mouth is full of jelly, and not in a good way.

I keep adjusting things ... when my mouth seems too dry for too long, I'll use half a patch, or go without it for a day. Only use Musinex a couple times a week. Somehow, it all works to keep things mostly under control.

Nettie says that the patch makes Freddie "feel weird" ... and this is something my insurance case manager warned me about. She says the patch can make people a little nuts. (In my case, it's hard to tell.) Also ... a dry mouth is very hard on your teeth. So, there are other things to consider ...

I am interested in this thread. My 8 year old son (you can read "Can a child have ALS") has been clearing his throat constantly in the past month. I am literally saying about every 20 seconds. He sometimes even has a gag reflex that seems to accompany his clearing. I thought it was a new habit. Is this another possible symptom I should bring up to his neurologist Thursday?

Hi ... I would mention any symptom or behavior that seems out of the ordinary to the doctor.

Excessive drooling

Hello all;

I was diagnosed with bulbar ALS in January of this year and the ALS clinic at the University of Alberta Hospital prescribed 25 mg Amitriptyline per day to reduce saliva. It did seem to work but it also reduced my blood pressure to the point that I would almost pass out everytime I would get up from laying down or even sitting down so I quit taking it. Better to drool and be conscious.

The next thing that was offered to me was radiation treatment to the parotid glands. I went to the cancer clinic in Edmonton for ten days of radiation treatment where they mapped out my face and zapped me with radiation for a minute and a half on each side. For two weeks after the treatment was over my face hurt like hell but it is now better and while my drooling is not completely gone, it is probably reduced by 80% (just like they said it would be). I don't know how many places offer this treatment but it worked for me. This is a permanent treatment and I haven't taken any drugs for saliva since.

That is great information, Barry ... thank you for posting that. I am really sick of the Scop patch (which itches like mad) and Musinex, etc. They don't really work all that well, altho they're better than nothing. A permanent fix would be great.

This is becomming quite a problem for me as well. The corners of my mouth a sore from constantly dabbing them and I am having to swallow a lot of extra saliva, especially the last couple of weeks. I am going to ask for something soon, it is ANNOYING.
I am trying so hard to stay positive but as things continue to come along I am getting MORE annoyed-

Tomorrow is a new day.

THis is a good thread.

Thanks all n good night.

Hi i am 14 years old and i am drooling alot i mean ALOT everyday. I cant take it anymore its been 2 years already. Nothing usually works. In school i have to bring tissues to spit on and i feel embarrased and disgusted everytime i do it. Its just embarassing. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP

What in the world are you doing on a forum like this. Get your parents to take you to a dentist or an ENT doctor.

AL.

What in the world are you doing on a forum like this. Get your parents to take you to a dentist or an ENT doctor.

AL.

well my bad im just wanted an answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back