Status
Not open for further replies.
I will start this post by thanking everyone for their kind words in this thread. I can't respond to them much, as I don't have cell phone coverage to review them as I type this.

Becky, I know from your posts that Matt and I are kindred spirits. I hope that you are able to share some my elk picutres with Matt.

Reading the story of someone actually getting to the thoroughfare area is remarkable. That was one of my dream destinations before diagnosis. It remains an unfilled dream.

The weather forecast that promised warming tempertures and clearing skies turned out to be optimisitc, at best. The temperatures for the last 2 days have been in the 40s during the day and teens at night (F). The sky has been consistenty overcast with ocasional spots of blue. The snow we received over the last week has not melted much and some places still have close to a foot on the ground, though the campground and the Madison Valley are pretty clear of snow.

Many trees were downed by the snowstorms and during the storms most of the park roads were closed intermittently. The Park Service has done a good job of clearing and reopening most of the roads, though some of the side roads remain closed (and I suspect will do so until next spring).

During the bad weather yesterday we made a trip to West Yellowstone to refill with propane, get gas for the generator, do some grocery shopping, and do various other errands. On the trip there and back we saw many buffalo (bison) along with a few scattered elk.

Yesterday was the last day the Old Faithful Lower General Store was open for this season. We drove to Old Faithful to have a farewell snack with two of our good friends who have worked there over the years. One still works there. They are headed out for an end-of-season road trip, which is what they usually do at the end of each season.

As we arrived at the Old Faithful area, Old Faithful Geyser started to erupt and Beehive Geyser was just completing an eruption. It was magnificent!

Today, we took the long drive over Dunraven Pass to the Mammoth area, which has wonderful hot springs and magnificent travertine terraces. We had some ice cream there and then started our return trip.

On the way we saw many birds including ravens, canada geese, and assorted waterfowl. We also saw buffalo, black tail deer, and bighorn sheep.

On our way back to the campground we made the excursion to the Grizzly Overlook in the Hayden Valley. There we saw many elk along with a few buffalo and some trumpeter swans.

The highlight is that after awhile some of the wolves from the Wapiti pack made an appearance. There was one adult (gray) and five of the juviniles (3 gray and 2 black). They were socializing and some of the youngsters took off in half-hearted pursuit of the elk.

The elk scattered and one of the junviniles chased after a group of 3 cows and 1 calf that had split off from the main group. There was no serious hunting involved here, just juviniles working on their skills.

It was a magnificent evening that I was able to share with many people at the overlook. The great news is that the only van accessible handicapp parking spot was available and the stripped area next to it was not occupied, so I was able to get the wheelchair out and view the action from the comfort of the wheelchair. Often I just have to look through the windshield with binocculars (which is a very distorted view) or exit the van for a few minutes while I lean against the van.

On the way home we saw a fox, which we don't see many of in Yellowstone.

As usual it was a great day. The weather forecast has once again deteriorated. We are expecting cold temperature and potential precepitation over the coming days. I sure hope they are wrong again:).

Until my next post,

Steve

Wednesday, September 27

The message I posted today (probably yesterday be the time I get a chance to post this) was written the day before yesterday. I was unable to post yesterday.

Yesterday dawned with lots of clouds, but by 5PM we finally had some sun.

We spent yesterday afternoon at the Old Faithful area and I was able to do a brief tour of Geyser Hill, which has the greatest concentration of geysers in the world.

We spent the evening in the Madison valley watching and photographing the rutting elk. It was also interesting to watch the behavior of some of the tourists who got way too close to the elk.

On several occasions groups of these tourists were within 10 yards of the bull elk as he tried to round up his harem. I would certainly not have been that bold!

The good light was gone by the time we got there, but I am hopeful that I was able to capture a few meaningful shots. I probablly won't know until we get home and I get a chance to review them in more detail.

Today was the first sunny day we have had in a long time. We drove to the Upper Geyser Basin. On the way there, Lori spotted a grizzly bear sow with a cub. We spent a bit of time watching them before completing our journey to the Old Faithful area. It was our first bear sighting of the trip.

We arrived at the Old Faithful area just in time to see Castle Geyser. After that we headed to Geyser Hill in hopes of watching Beehive Geyser. While we were eating our picnic lunch were heard the call that the indicator for Beehive was active.

We scurried to Beehive Geyser and watched its eruption, which was magnificent.

Afterward, we made our way to Grand geyser, stopping at Lion Geyser to visit with some friends.

We spent about an hour at Grand Geyser and then watched its magnificent eruption with many friends we have met over the years.

We then made our way to Daisy Geyser and on to Biscuit Basin, where we watched Jewel and Rusty Geysers erupt.

On our way back to the campground we drove the Firehole Lake loop and were very fortunate to see Pink Cone Geyser erupt. It is spectacular and this was only the second time I have seen it erupt.

It was a spectacular day, marred only by the huge traffic jam we encourtered on our way back to the campground. The jam was caused by buffalo and turned a half our drive into a 90 minute drive.

Unfortunately, there was a serious accident that killed a buffalo. When we got back to the campground (an hour after seeing the remains of the accident) we notified the authorities. We were the first to do so. Communication is pretty spotty in this part of the country.

Hopefully all the humans involved were OK, though I am certain the car was totalled.

The weather forecast for the coming weekend is so dreadful that Lori is thinking about returrning home early. We will see what the futue brings.

I hope that by sharing these glimpses of our trip that others may share some of the joy I experience in Yellowstone. It is a special place for me and I am so glad I stil have the ability to visit it.

I acknowledge that these visits are difficult for both Lori and me. They require great effort and exact a tremendous toll. I am sure the folks reading this understand, though I doubt others would. To me it is well worth it.

Until next time,

Steve

Steve I look forward to reading your travel logs. I feel like I am right there with you and Lori. I can only imagine how much effort you and Lori expend to make these trips. It brings back memories for me from 1968 when as a teenager I worked at the store at Old Faithful for one summer. It was a highlight of my life. Walking the trails around Old Faithful geyser, attending the employee dances, meeting tourists from all over the world, having my first kiss with a Boy Scout leader from Italy, dancing with the Job Corp fellows, seeing the wild life especially the elk. Your journal lets my mind wander back to those more innocent days. Thank you so much for posting about your travels. May God Bless you and Lori.
Laurel

Tough as nails ol boy! Good on ya Steve and Lori! Love the post.
Love ya guys
Chally

Hey Steve,
Wanted to say thanks for the post. I love reading about your trips.

Angie

Such a delight to read your stories! I really appreciate the effort it takes for you to bring us with you THANKS!!!

Thursday, September 28 and Friday, September 29.

Yesterday was the first truly blue sky day we have had in 14 days. What a relief.

We did the hike to Lone Star Geyser, which follows an old road (now only pedestrians and bikes [and wheelchairs;)] are allowed on it) for 2.5 miles to a geyser with an amazingly large geyserite formation.

It was an superb hike that we have done before. It winds along and over the upper part of the Firehole river.

When we reached the geyser we stopped for lunch. About the time we finished lunch the geyser erupted. It was wonderful.

We had dinner at the campground with friends and enjoyed the pleasant weather throughout the entire evening. By pleasant, I mean it was above freezing and the skies were clear:).

Today we drove over Dunraven pass to Wraith Falls. This was a trail we had been meaning to try. I explored the first hundred yards of the trail on my Permobil C500 wheelchair and concluded I would need to break out the four-wheel drive wheelchair (Magic Mobility X4).

I was hesitant to do that because of how difficult it is to load it back in the van. It is easy to get out, but driving backwards with that thing is a chore.

The hike was very short (I could only do about 800 yards of the half mile hike), but very beautiful. It was really tremendous.

The trail was challenging in places and I came very, very close to tipping the wheelchair over twice, My wife was all that saved me one time and I don't really know what kept me from tipping over the next!

Getting the X4 wheelchair back into the van was every bit as difficult as I expected. Really, even more so. But, we did get it back in and made our way to the Mammoth hot springs area for some well-deserved ice cream.

We then drove to the Lamar Valley and spent the late afternoon and early evening there. The light was absolutely fantastic and there were probably over 1,000 buffalo.

In that beautiful light we stumbled across a black bear sow with a cinnamon cub. They were spectacular to watch. There was not enough time to set up for pictures, but they were close enough that we did not need binoculars.

We also saw mountain goats at Barronnette peak (that is not a typo...the peak was spelled wrong when it was initially named:)).

We saw many pronghorn and were really fortunate to see a fleeting glimpse of a magnificent white tail deer buck (most of the deer here are mule deer, commonly called black tailed deer).

On our way back to camp we spotted a beautiful black bear near Rainy Lake as we made our way up toward Tower and Dunraven Pass.

We saw a grizzly sow and cub just west of Canyon. We saw numerous elk and blacktail deer. The birds and waterfowl were equally numerous (and enjoyable).

We have had a wonderful two days of sunny weather. Bad weather is predicted to return tomorrow with rain followed by several days of snow. Lows will consistently be below freezing and the highs will be about 10 degrees (F) above freezing.

Those rainy/snowy days will give us a chance to run to West Yellowstone and refill propane and gas for the generator. Gosh, we have certainly used a lot on this trip!

Until next time,

Steve

September 30, 2017.

Today the weather deteriorated, just as forecast. We woke to solid overcast and cooler temperatures. We decided to try and squeeze in a hike before the rain started.

We agreed to try the Mary Mountain trail starting from the west trailhead, a favorite of ours.

I knew from past experience that this we a trail better suited for the X4 wheechair than the C500. The X4 is transported behind the C500, which resides in the middle row of our full-size Chevy conversion van.

To unload the X4 we have to first unload the C500 and then unload the X4. The X4 is held in pace with ratcheting straps, as there is no EZLock base in that position. I have learned to loathe ratcheting straps!

Once the X4 is freed from its straps, I have to drive it onto the lift's platform and then lower it to the ground. The X4 barely fits on the lift.

Once that is done, we have to load the C500 back into the Van. It is quite a production.

I can take the wheelchair from the trailhead to the broken-down bridge over Nez Perce creek. That bridge will accommodate a careful hiker, but not a wheelchair. The round trip is about 4.5 miles. The X4 wheelchair has a range of a bit over 6 miles and has done that trail before with no problems.

We made our way over the 2.25 miles of trail to the bridge, always keeping an eye on the low, scudding clouds that were threatening rain at any minute. The wind picked up a bit and the temperature dropped. I was adequately dressed, so felt pretty comfortable.

We turned around and started heading back to the car. When we turned around I glanced at the power LEDs and noticed that 5 out of 6 were illuminated. Great...that should have been plenty of power to get back to the van.

With about 2 miles to go I glanced at the power LEDs again and noticed that only 2 were illuminated. Uh oh! I was astonished. I powered down the wheelchair and when it powered back up 4 of the 6 power LEDs were illuminated.

We continued toward the van and pretty soon just 2 power LEDs were lit and they started to flash. At this point I was progressing past being just mildly concerned:).

We continued toward the car, stopping to rest the wheelhcair periodically. The trail was essentially flat, but Lori pushed to help the chair up even the slightest incline.

We made it back to the van with 1 power LED illuminated and it was flashing. The wheelchair was surging and would barely move!

Fortunately, we have a charger that works off of the car battery and generator. I was able to plug the X4 in and give it a bit of a charge before we tried to load it.

By now the clouds were pretty threatening. We unloaded the C500, exposing it to the elements, and then tried to load the X4. I noticed that the X4 was handling pretty sluggishly. I glanced down and noticed the left front tire was flat!

No wonder the battery was drained so quickly. I know from experience with that chair that a flat tire will reduce the range dramatically.

I carry a pump, patch kit, spare tube, and all tools necessary to change a tire with the X4. We used the pump to temporarily pump up the flat tire and I completed loading the X4 into the Van.

As I started to load the C500 the first mist of rain started to fall. I got the C500 into the car without getting the controller wet and we both sighed a very big sigh of relief!

It was a wonderful hike. I commented on how spectacular it was and how much I enjoyed it. Lori gave me a kind of funny look. I guess our perceptions differ a bit:).

After all that excitement we headed to the Old Faithful area for a bit of ice cream and a tour of the visitor center. By this time it was definitely raining.

We finished the day by making our way around the rest of the lower loop of the Grand Loop road, going past West Thumb, Lake, Fishing Bridge, Canyon, and Norris before finally making our way back to the campground.

We will probably do a supply run to West Yellowstone tomorrow, as the forecast is for snow and colder temperatures.

It was a great day! Until next time,

Steve

Here are a few pictures of our hikes.

Attachments

• 20170930_132920.jpg
    20170930_132920.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 20170930_125721.jpg
    20170930_125721.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 20170929_130651.jpg
    20170929_130651.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 125
Love the updates and love your smiles. You sure live on the edge there Steve with some of the happenings i.e. near tip overs, battery kaput etc. You are a wonderful story teller and a brave man with adventure in your soul.

Thanks for sharing your trip :)

No blankie across your legs Steve! Great photos

Steve thank you for sharing all of this. As others have already said, I feel like I'm right there with you. It warms my heart. I've always loved camping, but Brian never did. I had to pull teeth, just to get in a trip at a KOA and that was when he was healthy. I can't wait for the next installment. Good on you living your life to the absolute fullest!

Hugs,

Sue

Steve, I have thoroughly enjoyed every one of your posts. That last one had me on the edge of my seat-- man versus powerchair.
Thanks for sharing all of your adventures.

Sharon

Wow definitely edge of the seat reading!!!!!!

I guess you will be carrying the pump with you and will keep a closer eye on the tyres, what an adventure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back