01/2012
Country
US
State
New Jersey
City
Englewood Cliffs
Hi,
My Husband was diagnosed two year ago with ALS. Travel and going out to eat has become more difficult. Can anyone recommend hotel and restaurants that are handicap friendly. Most say they are but when you get there the bathrooms are roll in and its really not equipped for someone who is confined to a wheel chair.

Where?

There are disabled travel sites I have found with detailed information. You might try goo gling.

If I'm on a road trip, I would bring extras like seat riser and bed helper. The risers provided by the hotels are not always the best. The roll in showers I have had are adequate. Maybe I was lucky. I had no problem with cruises - the cabins are a little tight - but doable.

When my husband and I travelled to Banff, I looked up wheelchair accessible hotels in that area on google. Then I called each individually and asked if he could actually be rolled into the shower, and if the toilet was elevated and how much room in front and beside the toilet. I brought our portable hoyer lift, a shower commode chair, and his alternating air mattress that goes on top of the mattress. Only one hotel actually had a room that would accommodate us, but I nearly had a heart attack when it looked like the bed was on a box, and not on legs, but it turned out that it was open on the sides, whew. We had a wonderful trip, although it was a bit of a handful for me to handle all of the equipment, luggage, him and the above mentioned stuff. There are pictures of us at Banff on my public profile, unfortunately I did not get a picture of us stuffed in the gondola to go up the mountain. It was a great adventure, and Tim cherished it so much.
Paulette

we do not go out to eat because it is so difficult for my husband. between choking, coughing, pureed food needs, and his soft voice, a trip to a restaurant is awful for both of us.

But I get take out every week and we eat at home. Not as much fun as the old days but still a nice break from cooking.

We have traveled quite a few places since my husband is in the wheelchair. The chain hotels are usually very good for room size.... we have to take the stand assist lift and it helps me get him in and out of bed..but the problem I have with hotels that even are accessible.. the beds sit on a box.. they are not open underneath for the legs of the lift. We always get a handicap room that has a pull out couch/bed...that way I can get him in and out of bed.
We don't go out to eat anymore because , us, too.. eating is hard for him. we get carry out a couple times a week.. he loves his Texas Roadhouse..
We love the beach, and we always get an Oceanfront room, he cant go out on the balcony but he loves to sit in the doorway with the door open and watch people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back