Diagnosis
10/2016
Country
US
State
OR
City
Hillsboro
Early last year. long before I had any idea I had ALS, my husband and I booked a Viking Cruise in the Mediterranean to celebrate our 35th anniversary, We are supposed to depart in March. Yesterday when my husband called Viking to ask about handicap accessibility they pretty much encouraged us to cancel our trip.

We have a collapsible wheelchair that is supposed to fit in narrow hallways and gangplanks, but it sounds like there are buses and possibly other challenges as the boat is not designed for any accessibility,

My husband is a trooper and is wants to do this, via the wheelchair and giving me piggy backs to climb up into the buses. As much as my adventuring spirit would like to make this work, I don't want to be the passenger that every one scorns for slowing them down.

We have trip insurance and I'm I'm tempted to just cancel as they are so unwelcoming, and perhaps go somewhere else where we will be welcomed. We want to do something no later than March, as I suspect a PEG and BiPap are coming soon. I'll know more in January at my clinic day,

Thoughts and suggestions?

Probably could handle the on-board situation but on-land tours could be problematic. Best wishes on your decision !

I have found that with determination and ingenuity we can overcome the limitations imposed by many facilities and vehicles that are not handicap accessible.

But, and this is a critical but, it really takes a lot of the fun out of the trip. You never know when you will come up against an obstacle that will completely bar access. It adds stress and effort for both of you. You will be more tired. Your husband runs an increased risk of damaging himself (what if his back goes out on the trip? Then what?).

Also, it sounds like you can get by with a manual wheelchair now. But what about in March? Will you need a power wheelchair then?

From what I have learned, there are cruises and tours that are accessible. I would encourage you to look into those.

Steve

Hi, KW, agree that a lack of welcome is a bad sign and piggybacking can be problematic for both of you, esp. if/as your joints are subject to subluxation, etc.

There are several Web sites devoted to accessible cruises/travel so agree with Steve it's worth a look. There are always "gotchas" but less often if a jury of your peers has approved the access available.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back