Travel With A Power Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
John I hope you had a wonderful holiday. What a long trip--all the way from Newfoundland to Hawaii. Good for you. We (primarily me) drove to Palm Springs last month and I would never do that again. We were so pooped when we got home that we needed another holiday.

Hi Laurel,

Thanks, it was a great trip although somewhat different than I expected, which is one of the reasons to travel of course. I should have explained though that I left from Arizona not St. John's. We have been spending the winter here to escape the rigors of it in Newfoundland. My employer is gracious enough to let me work from here. If you're interested I'll recount two of our experiences.

My wife and I spent 7 days on Hawaii (also known as "the big island") and, aside from volcanoes and a bit of snorkeling, much of the time was spent admiring the vegetation. In the tropical rain forest on the east side of the island everything seems to grow effortlessly. We stayed the first four nights on the west side in a beautiful place run by two classical pianists and expert gardeners from Switzerland and Austria. One evening while dining on the lanai enjoying the growing tropical darkness we were treated to a concert of Handel's chamber music beautifully rendered by Ursula and Roland on harpsichord and oboe. Then we drove to east side and spent 3 nights at a place run by a couple of nice hippies who washed up on the shores 25 years ago and never left. My wife asked them if they compost and they replied "Yes, just throw it on the ground anywhere. If the rats don't eat it, the stuff will just break down and disappear". They are provided with coconuts, avocados, mangoes, pineapples and bananas with no effort on their part.

They also have a flock of 21 ducks that just roam loose in the rain forest. They supplement their feed in the morning by cracking open some of the night's coconut drops with an axe. The first two mornings we watched as the ducks waddled after the female proprietor down to the cracking site in anticipation of the daily feed. On the last morning, my wife looked out the window at the now-familiar sound of the axe to see a shaggy-haired man swinging the axe completely "au naturel". Too funny.

John,

What a wonderful trip. I could actually picture it. I so want to go, but alas, no money. As much as I have loved music, I think I would have been happier with the hippies. It was good to lnow that you were well taken care of on the trip. So sorry to the missus, for the hard work; but I bet deep down it wasn't that bad.

Thank you for sharing,

Great stories John. How did you find the local colorful characters to stay with? Beats booking into a run of the mill hotel.

Actually Toto, you're right, the missus didn't mind a bit. She is a 105 pound bundle of bottomless energy and good spirits.

Find sites with listings of accommodations by people who rent out space in their homes or their entire homes by the day, week or month. You can view pictures of the digs and read reviews by people who have stayed there. I have never been disappointed. Sites have places all over the the world. I have only used the US ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
John that looks like a great site. I have book marked it. Thank you.

John, great site. Never a miscommunication re accessibility for power chair?

Yes, thanks all...I'm so glad I posted this. And, since I have learned a lot from a travel agent. Most airlines will not charge for one wheelchair...power or otherwise! :)

John, great site. Never a miscommunication re accessibility for power chair?
Hi Sue, I'm not sure what you are asking here. Are you wondering if I have ever had a miscommunication with one of the people renting a house? If so, no, I have always emailed them explaining clearly the nature of the needs for my scooter.

Yes, thanks. (still slow at typing with my head, so saving on words can lead to fuzzy meanings!)
Happy travels!

And I'm still slow at thinking with my head so that can also lead to fuzzy meanings :)

John, I used the vrbo site you recommended and found a lovely, fully accessible place in VA for our upcoming trip. It'll be such a nice break from hotels! Thank you!
Sue

When I first posted this I wanted information for traveling. We have since booked a cruise on Carnival, Pride. Anyone with experience on the Pride? I have been on cruises, but my husband hasn't. He was a Vet in Vietnam on an Army ship, but not on a ship for pleasure. Any suggestions, expecially about trips off of the boat. Anyone ever get to the beach and in the water off of the ship? Want him to feel the sand and Caribbean again. I understand the beaches for the Grand Turk are right off of the Pride on the Eastern Caribbean cruise. Thanks
We got a accessable stateroom with a balcony! Looking forward to time away and together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back