Diagnosis
09/2016
Country
CA
State
BC
City
North Vancouver
Hi there: My friend has been denied travel health insurance for a visit to the USA from Canada. London Drugs -recommended by the ALS society denied her. She is using a walker and CPAP assist. Does anyone know of an insurer I can approach? thanks

That's a tough one. I have used BCAA before, but was not asked to disclose health history.

If your friend has a credit card, you may be lucky- some credit cards have built in travel insurance.

The best bet is to contact an insurance broker and lay out insurance needs and let them do the research- BCAA, John Ross Insurance (I do not work for them, but I dealt with them when building a plan for a roller derby league and they were informative and very helpful). There are definitely travel insurance plans out there for people with complex health needs. They may be more pricey due to the increased risk of needing medical attention, but there are definitely plans that have comprehensive coverage out there.

Best of luck

I've used TD insurance in the past. They just don't cover ALS related stuff, Accidents, heart attack and stuff is still covered.
Vincent

For our cruise, we've used Allianz. They cover all pre-existing conditions. Don't know if that's available to you in Canada or not; I get it through my travel agent.
Dianne

We've used the TripInsuranceStore for years--they handle a number of insurers, but I don't know if they sell in Canada. Their insurers cover pre-existing conditions provided your physicians would agree you are able to make the trip at the time of booking (or within as fixed time within which) in essence when you made the first deposit or commitment. I bought insurance for our upcoming Baltic cruise through them. Very helpful on the phone.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back