Diagnosis
12/2015
Country
US
State
PA
City
Easton
At some point in the near future I believe that my mom won't be able to get in and out of the car (it's a big struggle for her now).
She has a car (she's not driving) that we could sell and potentially get a minivan that would accommodate a power chair.
Can anyone give any advice on anything specific I'd need to keep in mind or conversions that would need to be made? We won't have a ton of money to work with.

Thanks!
Helga

Check on line- there are several places that deal exclusively with handicapped converted vans. Sounds like you will want a used one- prices vary from a few thousand up to $60,000+ for new ones. Something to keep in mind when purchasing one is the Pwc she will be using. Be sure it will fit. That probably won't be a problem unless she is very tall. I would start by googling Mobility Works or just handicapped vans.

We had problems getting our PWC to fit. Try it out a couple of times.

We liked the side entry ramp.

We'd definitely want used!

If she wont need a pwc immediately, you could look for the mobility assist sienna vans. They have a seat that moves out for transfers and back into place in the van. I would also contact the local mda and als associations. They may know someone who is looking to sell.

We have a side entry. It doesnt work out well if there are not the right handicap spots available. Rear entry would be dangerous in my area. Trying out the pwc getting into the van is a must. The sienna with vmi conversion is supposedly the most spacious head and legroom wise.

Agree the fit can be an issue even if you are short. My sister is barely 5'2'' and she had to return her first van because of the height of her pwc

I would also explore paratransit, wheelchair-accessible cabs and regular accessible transit in your area, to see if/how the van pencils out.

Steve struggles to fit in our sienna. We have to flip up his foot rests and have him be more upright to get the chair in properly.

Here are some of my thoughts.

No matter what you do, get the wheelchair first. Then get a van into which the wheelchair will readily fit. Don't rely on specifications, as they can be misleading. Though they may indicate a particular wheelchair and patient will fit, it may not be a fit that is practical for regular use. If at all possible, test your wheelchair in the van with your mother before you buy the van.

A wheelchair will eventually be necessary. We will all lose our ability to transfer. So, if you get a solution that does not have your mother riding in the wheelchair, consider it a temporary solution.

If she is going to be riding in the wheelchair in the van, recognize that it is quite valuable to be able to see out the windshield/windows. This is not likely to be the case with a full size van where your mother sits in the middle row (not all full-size van conversions require this).

Side entry vs. rear entry have benefits and drawbacks. We chose side entry and are glad we did. Before doing so, we toured the parking lots we are likely to frequent and confirmed they had plenty of van accessible spaces where I could load and unload from the side.

I favor a solution that has the least practical modification to the stock vehicle. With a minivan, new suspension is added, the floor is lowered, and the ramp is installed. I was concerned all of this could compromise the durability and reliability of the van. That could be a concern if you are buying a well-used van.

Wheelchair vans are not the only option. Be sure to consider public transportation options. We have a bus stop a block from our house and all the buses accommodate my wheelchair. Riding the bus is GREAT!

We wound up with a well-used 2004 Chevrolet Express 1500 full-size conversion van with a Braun Vangater II lift. The van has an EZ Lock system to lock the wheelchair in place. While there is a seatbelt for the wheelchair passenger, I anticipate I will not put it to use. When I can no longer transfer to the front seat, we plan to buy a different vehicle. I don't want to ride around without being able to see out the windows.

The van had about 82,000 miles on it when we bought it used. It needed a bit of work to bring it up to standards I was comfortable with. It has been reliable and has suited our current needs very well.

The EZ Lock wheelchair locking system required us to spend about $700 additional dollars to have it configured for my wheelchair (moved the EZ Lock base and installed the EZ Lock bracket on the wheelchair). We could have saved considerable money if we had purchased a used EZ Lock bracket for my wheelchair, but we did not know that was an option.

Be aware that negotiating the lift (rather than a ramp) while sitting in a wheelchair may be a bit intimidating for some. Others may find it totally impractical. It works very well for me.

The bottom line for me was that getting the van was transformational. I can now get out of the house and go wherever I want to whenever I want to. It has been a big part of restoring my freedom.

Good luck finding a vehicle that suits your needs.

Steve

We bought our conversation from someone in Houston who's PALS passed. She had an ad on auto trader. I had to do a lot off online research and check a lot of sites, including EBAY Moters and Craiglist, but we did get lucky. I drove to Houston with a friend, bought it and we became good friends with the lady selling it. Her husband has ALS and used the van several times. It is a Siena conversion and works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back