Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
TX
City
Austin
Please share your experience/concerns/ideas for transportation!

My first point of interest is ideas for going beyond the lock-in van to a travel van!

Here's what my 'think outside the box/ craziness is wondering".. I am wondering if maybe there could be a vehicle that we can roll the chair into that could also be travel camper? We already cannot travel to hotels as we need too much extra stuff in the way of bed/chair/shower.. but the roll in vans are really expensive, $20,000 to 80,000, boring and non-functional beyond being a lock- in (usually a caravan).
I am trying to picture what a nice alternative could be that might allow us to make some trips.. I looked at RV's -- they rent them for about $1000 a week but most would be too gas guzzling to drive and are not handi-cap accessible. I wish we had lots of time so I could design and get his going but I do not think we have a lot of time. Hard to say but it may not be more than a couple of years before the opportunity for travel will be lost. We already can't really travel by plane, I bet.
Anyway.. I thought to ask you about this. I am wondering if a basic truck with a cab or a full out van (not mini-van) could actually be made comfortable with the basics for a (couple one) of which is a person who needs a special bed and shower and lock for chair. I bet someone has done this. Many constraints on time and money but who has any ideas?

Well... have you thought about buying an old handicap accessible bus and converting the interior into a camper? I know a lot of people do it with regular buses, so why not a bus with a lift built in? Just a thought...

Leila, you dream van reminds me of the Project Management Triangle. With most projects there are three considerations: cost, schedule and scope or more simply cost, time and quality. Unfortunately, you can only really every achieve two of these considerations, not all three on any one project. So I would suggest you pick the two that are most important or necessary and make allowances on the third. Time seems a given as you have stated. So to get on your way, it would seem to me, you might either have to accept a less than perfect fit in design and quality that is not so expensive, or pay the price for the perfectly fitted out van. I am not trying to rain on your parade. I really think it's a most lovely idea and goal you have, out and about, travelling around while you still can, seeing the world on your own terms. I'm just trying to be realistic so you can get on your way in a timely manner. Best of luck in your travels.

I think that's a great idea... I like Sarah's idea of converting a van that already has a lift in it may be the most economical. In my searches on line, I've noticed that used passenger mini buses for handicapped are sold by states after a few years use... maybe even at an auction if you can find them. They range in size from full size handicap vans to mini-buses that seat about 16 people or so.

Cool idea!

is there such a van that you can wheel into, onto a lift, then drive with hand controls ? or are the vans just for transportation and you're lifted on and just stay in that position?

They have vans that you can either use a ramp or lift to get into, and then IF you can transfer, go to the driver's seat and drive with hand controls. Also can have a van that lifts you from the wheelchair into the seat to either drive or be a passenger. I guess the problem most ALS patients have is that sooner or later we can't use the hand controls either... wish there was an eyegaze for driving!

I really like the realistic project management triangle view and also thoughts of starting with a bus or van that can lift! I will have to look into best options such as the auctions for affordable vehicles. Has anyone EVER seen a shower capability in a small camper?

Cool idea, Leila, good luck!
In case you don't wind up with a camper van: y husb and I just got back from a 10-day road trip (manual wc and car, no van yet)- and we had very good luck with handicap rooms with roll-in showers at mid-price hotel chain, plus a fully accessible cottage for a couple nights found on vrbo. Had a great time!
Sue

Glad you enjoyed your trip, Sue. Showering is something I miss, home or away.

Leila, great idea about the bus. Puts a whole new twist on conversion vehicle. I had a conversion van once, but not this kind. It was a customized 1 (as in, swivel captain chairs, fancy fabric and stitching et cetera). If the van is gutted, I don't see why you couldn't get whatever you wanted put in.

We have been to the state auctions. Here you cannot start them but they do allow mechanics to come in and inspect it for you. Still that caveat emptor purchase. They also allow you several days in advance to look at them. Just remember, most of them will have extremely high mileage.

Helen, nice try with the eye gaze but wouldn't want you driving up behind me when a bug has gotten in your face or you just start blinking a little TOO much. Being chauffered isn't that bad as long as the driver isn't a retired a race car driver! Or those who speed up to be first at the red light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back