Diagnosis
07/2013
Country
US
State
KY
City
Nicholasville
We're having trouble. Mom not walking well at all. Really we just propel her and her legs move a little bit. Going to have to start using w/c more. We're having troubles with:

1) getting her into bed
2) pivots when she has to rise up and change direction, even if it's just to get into the wheelchair.
3) getting her sitting far enough back in her recliner. It's hard to reposition her once she is sitting down.
4) Anyone ever use a Pivot Disk?

went to ALS clinic yesterday. PT & OT threw a lot at us, not much of which I have retained or am doing correctly. PT & OT supposed to be coming for home health. If they do I know they can show us again.

Dad thinking mom may need to go into nursing home. I don't think she does, but he is having so much trouble with the transfers, etc. He's 81 and not well himself. I do all I can, but I do have to work.

Have cried all morning at work, not getting much done. I can see the disease progressing but she can still eat most foods; says her breathing is ok despite "failed" breathing tests. Her speech is going. Sorry. Just so hard.

kim

to help in repositioning in the recliner put an absorbent pad on the chair. It will be easier to move her around by pulling on the pad. Some of the home aides call these pads soakers or chucks.

I can understand your dad's concern for transferring at 81 yo. he could really injure himself, or drop her and injure them both. there are transfer boards which can help slide patients, and I have a transfer stand which my husband stands on and I rotate. Honestly--nothing is really easy on the caregiver or the patient though! a gait belt helps the caregiver hold up the patient but I didn't like it with the spastic issues of als-- not like a regular elderly or infirmed person.

another option is a hoyer lift which is usually used when they can not help with the transfer or hold themselves up. I sounds like you need more help and a refresher from the PT. send them an email, or contact your ALSA rep. I hate that they threw so much at you...it is so overwhelming in the beginning. you may need a part-time can in the house when you cant be there because of your dad's age. it would be cheaper than a nursing home and nicer for her too ( and the both of you).

You will figure it out...don't worry.

hang in there.

We use an Easy Pivot Lift. You can see how it's used on YouTube. It's easy for one person to use for bed time, toileting, dressing and seating.

I am 68 years old and still lift weights every other day.

My wife is now bed ridden 24/7 but prior to that it took all my strength for transfers .

I can not imagine an 81 year old man doing it alone.

Hi kim, sorry things are so difficult. You do need to get a pt/ot review again, preferably in your home so they can see all the issues. The options re transfers will depend on your moms upper /lower limb strength&trunk strength.
We have used a pivot disc - they work for people who have reasonable strength&can stand with fairly straight legs (although you can transfer people with knees more bent). So if she is reasonable standing it might work. Or perhaps a sit to stand hoist is what you need.
Repositioning in chairis difficult in a recliner-there are these one way slide things (called slide assist) that might work if you can lean her top half forwards& then you give a push back at the knees. I have used the one withthe loop at the back with wheelchair -works well. There are similar products to help get legs into bed allegedly with one carer but i cant vouch for any of them. Try get a home assessment which may also help get a case for more help. Good luck.

Thanks everyone. Just wondering what a "transfer Stand" is? I am going to call the clinic Friday if we don't have an assessment set up by then.

I don't know enough to give you info on the transfer. But, my dad had a extremely muscular caretaker who transferred him out of his chair and to the restroom etc. It took every ounce of strength he had to do so. Dad isn't very heavy now either. Your dad needs help transferring her for sure at 81 years old. This is too much for him alone. Who is going to take care of her if his health goes down all the sudden? Any other relatives or friends that could help any? Take care, Kim

a transfer stand is what I have--=it is like a pivot disc, but has a bar on it so the patient can lean against it while they are pivoted by the caregiver. it has wheels on it so I can move it from the bedside to the commode. (not with him on it but so he can transfer from his pwc)
I tried to attach a picture don't know if it worked. the picute is like mind but a little fancier.

the patient must be able to hold their weight up on their feet to use it though. my CNA loves it, as does all my kids and me too.

you really need to look in to an aide for the home though.

saturn-transfer-disc.jpg

We use the Easy Pivot to move my husband and it does have wheels so we can move him from one room to another. I love it! He prefers us to use it over the Hoyer. For helping to get into position on his easy chair, I place a pull sheet under him and lean him forward a little and pull at the sheet just above his rear end and he slides back rather easily.

Once you find something that works for her and you, you won't be so overwhelmed about those things anymore. Be aware though, there are always new and changing challenges that need to be addressed. PT and OT should be a great help to you. When they are there, ask about what they suggest for future needs as well as today's.

I hope it works out so that your mom can stay at home. I highly recommend you try home health care before jumping to a nursing home. Good luck in making the decisions on your plate. You are so strong to be helping your parents the way you are. You are a good daughter!

Hoyer Lift saved my life!
Fairly simple to get the hang of, real back saver.

To reposition after sitting, I stand in front of my sister and clasp my hands around her back and pull up while pushing back on her knees if that make sense. My sis is boney so I put a small pillow between her knees and when readjusting her I also put a pillow between my knees and hers so as to not hurt her.

We had pt come to the house to show us all the techniques and they were very helpful In all of it. My sister no longer has a pivot, so now I grasp her with one hand under a butt cheek and the other around her waist and lift and turn at the same time. The pivot thing was actually harder on us both. Now that's it's gone, it's quicker and easier :-(

We practiced using the transfer board but she needed more core strength than she has, and getting her underwear up and down for the bathroom on the transfer board didn't work.

We also use the transfer belt, do you have one? It really helps.

We use an Easy Pivot Lift. You can see how it's used on YouTube. It's easy for one person to use for bed time, toileting, dressing and seating.

had not seen these! thank you!

a transfer stand is what I have--=it is like a pivot disc, but has a bar on it so the patient can lean against it while they are pivoted by the caregiver. it has wheels on it so I can move it from the bedside to the commode. (not with him on it but so he can transfer from his pwc)
I tried to attach a picture don't know if it worked. the picute is like mind but a little fancier.

the patient must be able to hold their weight up on their feet to use it though. my CNA loves it, as does all my kids and me too.

you really need to look in to an aide for the home though.

saturn-transfer-disc.jpg

2nd paragraph ..........."the patient must be able to hold their weight up on their feet :

Be carefull because my wife went from being able to hold her weight up on her feet to the next day taking a nasty fall because she could no longer hold her weight up.

Our routine was based on her holding her weight up and the day she couldn't I wasn't prepared for that nasty fall.

With ALS.................one day you can do something next day you can't.
We had a bad accident because I ..............PRESUMED........ that day would be the same as the day before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back