Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
PA
City
Zelienople
I'm still able to stand from my PWC, and with assistance from the lift chair, but we were having problems transferring because the toes of my feet or slippers would get caught as I tried to pivot. We got a transfer disk, and it has helped. It is 15" in diameter, and like a flat lazy susan. I stand onto the disk from the chair and my CALS rotates me to line up with the new seat. I think it was around $50. A temporary solution, but helpful for now.

I love my transfer disc (aka, the pivot, pivitor, spinny thingy, or Susan). I think we've been using it for almost a year. Make sure you get one with grips or nonstick surfaces on both sides.

My pivot disc did not work for me. it is about 15-18 inches in diameter, plastic, with grip on both sides. on our carpet, it was way too difficult to turn me. I just tilted me over as someone tried to turn me. Perhaps a better one would have worked, but we were tired of buying items to assist me.

Cathy, I can see how that would be, especially on carpet (which mine is). With my weight on it, it doesn't turn easily but I still have enough core strength to be able to help turn. (Think of doing the Twist.) :)

What’s the twist, Bill? A yoga position, maybe?

Somewhere buried deep in our old photo box is a picture of me at the age of four twisting my little heart out to the 45 of Chubby Checker’s “Let’s Do the Twist!” I keep those pictures away from my daughter, who would immediately post it to her Facebook page...Kevin

We all did the Twist at some point. :LOL:
Unlike the Loco-Motion (Little Eva) which I would have no idea how to do. Oddly, it appears Grand Funk Railroad covered that song. (They were a band in the late-Sixties/Early Seventies.) ;-)

Grand Funk Railroad. Another memory worth sharing.

For those not up on old rock bands, they were a hard rock power trio from Michigan with very average playing skills but a lot of energy, a couple of hit tunes, and walls of amplifiers. In 1970-71 they hit it fairly big with their Closer to Home and live album, and became an arena size draw by that summer.

I had just finished eighth grade and some of my friends had older brothers and sisters who reluctantly schlepped me and two of my fellow mouth breathing buddies to RFK stadium in Washington DC to see them.

It was at least 100 degrees, I got thoroughly stoned thanks to my friends older sister, and all I really remember after that is a lot of distorted noise, a sea of shirtless, sweaty, pimply backed guys in bell bottoms and tank top, cutoff wearing girls who all seemed cute, and a huge desire for a bag of Oreo cookies. I tried so hard that day to be cool like all the 16 and 17 year olds but I still had braces, which kind of ruined the look I was hoping for.

Thanks for the memory, Bill!

Addendum: I promise not to wander off topic again on these important, informative posts. Levity is one of my strongest coping mechanisms, and in no way do I mean to minimize these very helpful tips. Best, Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back