Diagnosis
03/2014
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Abbotsford
I'm wondering if anyone has any tips, advice on training new caregivers. I am paralyzed from the neck down and use an eyegaze computer to communicate. The problem i have is communicating when I don't have my computer, ie. Going to the washroom and showering, and getting in and out of bed. because the new caregivers dont understand me i cant remind them how to help me.

how long should it take to train someone?
any advice on training when you can't speak?

thanks

have someone ( your current best caregiver or CALS) make up an overview plus detailed instructions for each task ( this assumes your caregivers read the same language). Possibly pictures. This does not replace training days but does give a reference point. How long is so individual depending on the person and the complexity of your routines

we had a three ring binder for my mother who not only could not speak but also had FTD

I had a plastic sleeve folder with instructions, including pictures where I could to help with things in as much detail as I could.

Our staff found it really helpful, and used it when training new people as well as just reminding themselves of things. Also easy to update as things changed with progression.

Also a communications book for each person to read when they arrive, and write end of shift notes in.

Someone always personally trained each new person, so that really helps in those times you can't communicate for the points about details to be given to someone in training.

thanks I will try more detailed instructions and pictures.

Also, a video where a more experienced aide goes through the routine with you for real, is easier for some people to understand.

I created video of tasks with Chris. I'm not allowed to link to where I have it all online but you can hopefully find it through the about section in my profile.

I would suggest, if it hasn't been already, putting the list of things that need to be done in areas relevant to them.

For instance put things to be done for getting you out of bed where they can be plainly seen. Ditto for meds, etc

We also did typed instructions, sealed in document protectors and hung in the area (for instance, in the shower area) where the info is needed. Unfortunately, we still had caregivers (one of our most wonderful, in fact) have to be reminded to read the list and follow it. Make sure the new caregivers know that you are "all there" mentally, but just can't communicate. If they don't watch for your facial reactions to things as they shower you they are not the people you want caring for you. It helps a lot if you can have a current caregiver there to help provide the training. Just a note--the WORST caregiver we ever tried was a nurse who had worked most of her career in a nursing home. She kept ignoring my husband as if he was one of many patients waiting for her help. Nope, if they don't understand that having only one patient can be harder than rushing through the care of several, then they are not cut out for this. Maybe several conversations using eye gaze before they ever touch you so that they realize that YOU are in control would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back