Track ball or other remedies for computer problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessie

Good morning all,

My husband, Vic is starting to have trouble using the mouse on the computer. Since this is one of the few activities that he can still enjoy, I'm trying to find out about any adaptations we could make to our computer.
His problem at this point is that as he moves the mouse and left clicks, his third and four fingers involuntarily touch the right click button. Most frustrating!Any ideas?

I continue to get so much encouragement from this forum. Thank you all who write so eloquently and compassionately about the trials and tribulations of ALS.

We're leaving for Sask for a week so won't be able to read or respond to any posts until mid-July.

Have a peaceful and sunny summer day wherever you are. :0)
Jessie

Hi Jessie,

Sorry to hear about Vic's troubles - but I can relate. I thought I had carple tunnel for a while until I was diagnosed with ALS.

I tried a whole bunch of different options as I was having trouble using a mouse too.

I tried a Wacom tablet - instead of a mouse - you use a pen shaped pointer and drag it over a tablet - but I had some trouble with holding the pen.

I have a lap top as well as a desk top and found it easier to use a touch pad instead of a mouse. I found a desk top keyboard that has a touch pad built in and it is very easy to use. It's made by Adesso. Most computer stores can order it in for you or you can order it online from Adesso - here is a link:

http://www.adesso.com/top_sellers.asp

They also show some tablets as well.

With the touch pad - I can move the pointer with my right hand and click the buttons with my left hand.

Good Luck!

Richard

Hi;

My computer aids are a Godsend for me.
Try the Point-N-Click program, it is a free download from the internet:
http://www.lakefolks.org/cnt/pnc.htm

I use the Dragger32 program that was prescribed by the ALS clinic O.T., because the Point-N-Click program didn't meet my needs anymore.
http://orin.com/access/docs/dragger32data3.pdf

If you have Windows XP, you can check if you set up your computer to meet your husband's needs.
http://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/windowsxp/opsmobility.aspx

In addition I use this mouse that I programmed the left click to only click once, versus the double click.

If you ever need experts in Communications Assistive Technology, when your regular ALS clinic O.T. can not meet your needs. However they are a private clinic and there fees that you have to pay, you can ask the ALS society for financial assistance. I see that you are in another province but you can check if they could video conference an appointment with your hospital. That is what we do with them because I live 800km away from Sunnybrook, Toronto! Wonderful technology that makes my life a whole lot easier!

Regards,

Patsy

Patricia Seguin-Tremblay,
Ontario, Canada
P.A.L.S. since 1998
P.A.L.S. (Person with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis)
Tough times never last, tough people do. -Robert Schuller

Last edited by a moderator:
ALS and Computer problems

Thank you Richard and Patsy, for all your useful suggestions.

It gives us some hope that Vic will still be able to enjoy his computer in spite of weakening arms and hands. He has done a fair bit of writing over the years. The computer and Tv sports are about all he can manage now for some diversion, so it was very distressing to him when it appeared that he might not be able to use the computer for much longer.

Wishing you all a peaceful and sunny summer day wherever you are.

Jessie

Last edited by a moderator:
Before spending lots of money on communication devices, get assessed by the occupational therapist at your ALS clinic. They can arrange trials of different products and afterwards determine what is best for you in the long term. Your needs for communications assistive devices will change over time. Also they can access the ALS society equipment loan cupboard for you, if what you need is available; a hell of a lot cheaper than paying out of pocket. Remember that ALS is an expensive disease and we/you have to spend wisely!
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back