Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Northern
Hi everyone. My dad saw a new pulmo today who recommended he research and consider a trache. He said it was non-invasive which I don't quite understand. Just wondered it anyone had experience with them, I,e., are you on a vent if you have one? Do you need special care for it? Thanks!

There seems to be an increase in the number of people recommended to get a trach separate from a vent decision. Secretion management is the goal. Non invasive? A hole cut in your throat? Interesting definition!
The care of trach once it is healed is not hard. Suctioning will be necessary that is also not hard but is your mom ( who is the primary caregiver?) prepared for this. I have known a couple of pals who chose this. One did ok. One had out of control secretions was miserable and chose to go on hospice and died soon after. His secretions were really bad before though. What does your dad want? Is he in fight mode or comfort mode?

That's very helpful. Thank you Nikki. They dont want to know what it is so I don't see a decision being made. I wanted to understand just in case. I've heard pros and cons as well. My father won't talk about anything so we really don't know what he wants.

>Is he in fight mode or comfort mode?

well said!

I can't believe that a doctor said that it was non-invasive because it is. There are many people who have traches that are not on ventilators, ie. throat cancer. But once a tube is introduced it irritates the trachea a secretions are produced, which means that he will have to cough them out, or be suctioned, and that is around the clock. As indicated above there is care of the tube needed, which means an inner cannula is removed and cleaned of thickened dried secretions, and the skin around the trache stoma also has to be cleaned. I can't imagine that a ventilator on a trache is any harder to manage than a sip & puff ventilator, which my husband is 100% dependant on, it is the suctioning and trache care that is the difficult part.

Paulette

Suctioning is simple, fast, and quickly becomes a nuisance rather than a "Medical Procedure". The frequency varies a lot. The presence of the trach does seem to increase mucous production at first but after that it is just normal amounts. It seems like a lot because until coughing is too weak to move the mucous up to where it is swallowed without our being aware of it, we haven't a clue about the surprising amount we normally produce. Having the trach tube jiggled will cause coughing that may or may not bring up enough to require suction. Changes between lying down and sitting up, transfers, bouncing around in a car or in a wheelchair (avoid cobblestone walkways!) will often stir up enough to require suctioning.

Anyone can be taught to suction in a few minutes with an opportunity to observe it being done and then doing it once or twice themselves. I would like to teach the cat how to suction me but her attitude would be a problem! Suctioning is no more than a quick vacuuming of the trach. The important part is not touching the business end of the suction catheter with your bare hand. Hands are the source of all kinds of germs so a glove and a reasonable amount of physical coordination are necessary.

The trach is NOT a hassle! You don't need a trach with an inner cannula (a tube inside the tube) that needs to be taken out and cleaned daily. Without that, the care of the trach is simply washing around it with soap and water during your morning wash up routine. That is all!

Thanks for the insight Diane...don't think it is an option given in the uk

Thanks for all the info. We verified with him that his wishes haven't changed. I was concerned he didn't understand what the doctor was suggesting because when I asked what he thought about it, he said he would wait and see when the doctor said he needed it. That scared me! I explained that it's his decision and more goes into it. He has a DNR in place and a living will indicating no ventilation.

I have known a couple of pals who chose this. One did ok. One had out of control secretions was miserable and chose to go on hospice and died soon after.

im with nikki on this i sure miss gary. don't know how he is doing but i know it isn't good. :(

Who is Gary? The people I referred to were not members of this board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back