CALS
Country
US
State
ma
City
sherborn
Hi

My Dad was diagnosed w/bulbar in March and progressing fast. He got PEG a few weeks ago. Completely lost ability to speak in June. FVC is at 36. Has and needs bipap, but resists and does not use much, Now we're beginning to consider decision on trache and vent . Any thoughts on what Medicare will pay for for equipment and certification needed for care giver for someone with Trache/vent.

He lives in Florida, with in home care. Thanks in advance for advice

Brianc ... I'm so sorry for your dad's diagnosis, and the fast progression.

I don't like to see a forum question go unanswered, but I don't have that information. You might be able to get it online from the SS website, or from ALSA (ALS Assoc.) or MDA (Muscular Dystrophy). If you have not been in touch with those last two organizations, give them a call. MDA may be able to help with expenses, and ALSA will certainly have answers to your questions.

Take care.

Brian,

I can only answer part of your question - Usually, Medicare will pay 80% of medical equipment. It depends on if your dad has a Medicare Advantage plan also, as some of them only pay 70%.

Sorry about your dad.

Joe lost his fight with ALS on Wednesday

My Dad died peacefully in hospice Wednesday night after transferring there earlier in the day after being 10 days in the Intensive Care Unit. On Friday, he decided against a trache/mechanical ventilation believing the poor quality of life for him and his famliy was unacceptable. A very brave man who made a tough, deeply personal decision.

Thanks bethU and brooksea for your replies - - it was nice to know someone was there.

I wish you all the best for your ALS journeys. May you have the strength and compassion to fight bravely, hold on to hope and find some solace in having done the best you can for you and you're loved ones

Brian
I am so very sorry for the loss of your father. May he rest in peace free from this dreaded disease and may you find comfort in your memories of him. My own father is battling this same disease and my heart goes out to you.
My deepest sympathy,
Dana

Gosh Brian! So very sorry you lost your Dad!

You were looking out for him, so be comforted to know you are a great son!

Brian I am so sorry to read of your father's death. I didn't have any answers to your question, but I did read your email. Joe sounds like he was a good man. I will say a prayer for him.
Laurel

Sorry for your loss Brian. Thank you for letting us know. It was very thoughtful of you during a difficult time.

AL.

Brian So sorry about your loss. My prays are with you
Rhonda

Brian, I am very sorry for your loss. I am glad that he had you to look out for him.

I am so sorry for your loss ~ sounds like your dad was a brave man ~ You are in my thoughts and prayers during this diffficult time

Brian,

I am sorry for your loss, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Dana

My sympathies with you and your loved ones. May happy memories make the pain a little easier to bear.
Colleen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back