Not open for further replies.

jean p

Reason
CALS
Diagnosis
12/2019
Country
US
My brother was diagnosed with ALS in 2020. He has been on radicava/riluzole for a year. He recently started seeing a naturopathy doctor who tested his urine via Great Plains Labs. He was off the charts for 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic Acid (2,4-D), a chemical in weed killer/GMOs. He is going through a detox w/large amt w/meds and vitamin B/glutathiaone infusions. His neuro doc things it's odd to test so high for something he is no longer being exposed to.

Has anyone had any experience like this? Thank you in advance...

That is a non standard lab as the term is politely phrased. I personally would not trust its results or the practitioner who sent the test there. Nor would I undergo this aggressive treatment ( for which he is presumably paying large amounts of cash) . pALS are terribly vulnerable. Be aware a common thing for them to be told when they feel worse is that it is the body detoxing and when it never helps well it was just too late if only they had seen us sooner

please tell him to beware and ensure the 'detox' doesn't cause him to start losing weight

Read up on William Shaw, the Great Plains Lab founder/owner, whose scientific integrity is very much in question. I would not trust any results from that lab, nor undertake any treatment as a result of those results. "Functional medicine" and "functional nutrition" labs typically don't take insurance "to keep our prices low [sic]," because they aren't using validated assays that would be reimbursable. They collaborate with clinicians of equally dubious repute to refer to each other. It is a scam.

Best,
Laurie

thank you for your feedback, good advice!

Please be careful with these types of tests and "doctors". My husband was only out $1500 and then threw the towel in as it felt too "scammish". Another PALS whose wife refused to believe he had ALS and essentially shoved him into progression faster than he would have had she left him alone, was in for $250,000 going to one of these guys. They had no more money for any equipment after that and he lived his last days in more discomfort than he should have.

My advice, make memories, do things that your brother would love, and ensure he has everything he needs for his comfort. The equipment list is incredibly long and he'll need funds for things like that.

These types of doctors should be jailed.

Thank you for your insight, it's appreciated. It's been a tough time and while we are trying every possible option, my brother is just taking too many meds/supplements. Since he has difficulty swallowing, choking is a concern and should factor into all of this. Modern medicine comes w/lots of prescription meds but naturopathic doctors equally prescribe lots of supplements too.

Besides lacking benefit, random supplements still take precious energy to metabolize, and can interact with other drugs/supplements/food, causing side effects and reducing effectiveness. So I would try to get that across if/as you can.

As for choking, at some point, most PALS need a feeding tube, but if he is not there yet, many drugs/supplements can be crushed and put into pudding, applesauce, yogurt without solids in it, etc. However, some cannot and are on the Do Not Crush List.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back