Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
N/a
City
N/a
Hello I am new here and I would just like a little bit of advice.

I am 23 years old male and am typically an extremely healthy man. Lately though I have been suffering with a couple of issues and I have started to become worried that these things may be an indication of something serious. So I would appreciate your feed back.

A little over a month ago I was having difficulty swollowing which alarmed, me deeply. But after a while it seemed to subside. I still kinda feel like I have to focus on eating, but I would be willing to excuse this as nerves, perhaps. Especially seeing I take rather large vitamins without water with relative ease everyday. Seeing that there was improvement I was no longer alarmed by that particular symptom.

Recently though my tounge on the right side has become sore from constantly rubbing up against my teeth and occasionally I seem to catch when eating or talking. I never actually bite it just kinda catches just a sliver almost. This did not bother me particullary until I decided to look at my mouth today and notice my tounge sits relaxed a very funny angle. Like as if it were a sinking ship listing on one side and pushing a small amount of my tongue into my teeth. Needless to say after reading about muscular atrophy of the tongue, I have become thoroughly anxious about this all. My tongue, at present, seems strong and mobile. I would not say I have trouble speaking I can say all my S's and Th's, but I do find myself very focused and delibrate with my words. Again, I am willing to resign that this may be nerves.

I appreciate your honest feed back. I normally am a very care free individual, but I must admit, I am genuinely anxious at current.

Not ALS.
You're in the wrong place.

Good luck.

Go to your dentist first! This does not sound like ALS and stay away from dr goo gle...

Jen

Ditto, you're in the wrong forum

Regards! Pursue your problems.

As pleased as I am to see uniform good news from knowledgable people, I am curious, can atrophy not explain the asymmetry and lack of coordination in my tongue? The issue with my tongue, thus far, has been getting worse not better. Not that I'm arguing in any sense, just curious to reasoning.

I have seen my dentist about 2 1/2 weeks, coincidently, but that was before problems with my tongue were largely apparent.

Thanks again.

Can't answer that, go back to your dentist!

Jen

If your tongue was atrophied, as you are suggesting, you would have trouble swallowing and talking. Those symptoms would not occur overnight or within weeks. The tongue is a huge muscle and bulbar symptoms are rarely noticed by the patient. The majority of time, they have to be told there is an issue.

You cannot all of a sudden have ALS without a slow moving list of weakness BEFORE atrophy of ANY part of your body.

But, if you are like a bunch of other folks that are obsessed about ALS, GO TO THE DOC! GO TO THE DOC!

I checked out my relaxed tongue. It sits a little crooked...and then I accidentally bit it. That hurt. I didn't know what to do so have decided to see my doctor...just in case

What did your doctor say?

0: Go to your own doctor. You have lost the plot. Go to your doctor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back