FL
City
Tampa
1. Have a wonderful year.
2. You have ALS? Great.
3. You don't look that sick to me.

a Facebook comment I got this am after explaining my diagnosis:

------
haha, aw, that's great. Y'all are wonderful. Thanks for sharing all the above.
-----

Max, What is wrong with people? I would understand if it was people that were ignorant of the facts of ALS but you had just explained the disease and my comments were given by a family member and a neurology resident and nurse when Steve got his PEG yesterday.grrrrr

>Max, What is wrong with people?

one wonders ... I sometimes think they read what they want to hear not what is written ...

Max - I hear all the time "well, you look great!". Apparently I look my best when I'm sick as I often heard this when I had my heart attacks. I think people just don't know what to say. I've probably been guilty of this myself at some time(s) during my life as I don't 'think fast on my feet'. People think they need to say something or do something, but sometimes just sitting beside us is all we need.
Dianne

You know, I really don't mind it terribly when people tell me that I look great (specially my lady acquaintances !). However, I really like a reply from one member of our ALS family when someone complimented him on looking so good: "yes, and we make really good looking corpses.". I have heard one medical authority say that ALS patients in general are some of the nicest people on the globe. I believe this to be true.

I've heard that comment about looking good too, I've chosen to think they mean I look good compared to what they expected.
Another good one that came came from two lady friends was, your legs look so good, how do you manage it.

I have heard one medical authority say that ALS patients in general are some of the nicest people on the globe.
oddly, one of the studies noted that. My first thought was that perhaps "being nice" wasn't a survival trait, so this was nature's way of weeding us out ... But since it normally hits well after we 'propagate' that probably isn't it.

Let me add this one....

i admire people having this already,and wanna give them courage and congratulations.They are real badass3s.

I am definitely "nicer" now. It probably has something to do with not letting things that dont really matter bother me any more. And a greater appreciation for even the smallest act of kindness.

But if one more person tells me they hope I fell better soon....

One of my favorites - can't he get a muscle transplant?

I definitely think we don't let the small stuff get to us anymore-whats the point? When someone honks at me now I don't even get upset.
Yesterday found out a blood test showed a marker that might indicate cancer-would have really bothered me before, now, ha, who cares. Can't beat the ALS in getting me.
As for comments I even had the neuro in my ALS clinic say to me-I thought you would look worse than you do....what did he want a corpse?

>One of my favorites - can't he get a muscle transplant?

that is the best I've heard yet!

>I thought you would look worse than you do....what did he want a corpse?

Neil, that's a compliment -- you should hear what Sandy says I look like after a couple of no splish-splash days :)

Now I feel bad for whining about the 3 I posted...a muscle transplant?!?!?!?!?

Lets see.. how many muscles does a normal person have.. and how many nerve connections to those muscles..not to mention rejection, wow thats a really dumb person.
Maybe AL took their mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back