Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
Nebraska
City
Johnson's Lake
Hey ya'all, I'm new here... I'm a cargiver of a woman who has ALS named Ann. I just started last July and I have so many questions. Ann's husband has helped awnser many of them. And most the time its questions on what should I do to help her stay comfortable. My first of I'm sure many is about her tounge. She has saliva in her mouth but the part of her tounge that sticks out gets really dry and besides water is there soemthing else I could possibly do for it!? I know when my tounge gets dry it is not a good feeling so I would think she is feeling the same. Any suggestions!?

Re: Tounge

you could put a strap around her head to hold her mouth shut

You can try using a mouth rinse for dry mouth, just make sure what ever she uses doesn't have alcohol in it. Along with that she can use a fluoride gel before bed. Maybe even try a humidifier so the room isn't so dry.*

Hope you find something that helps!

My Marks tongue sticks out a bit now that his jaw has moved and it gets very sore - we got a mouth moisturiser spray from his dentist. LizT mentioned a strap, Mark sometimes uses a chin strap provided by his respiritory nurse, the straps are usually used for people on NIV who snore.

Could also try lemon glycerine swab sticks. They excite the taste buds and produce a bit of saliva to aid in swallowing. Might could try one of them. If you have home health care or hospice, ask the nurse about these.

Thanks ya'all. I've been trying some lemon juice + water and putting it on her tongue that's been helping. And the mouthwash! Idk about a strap though... but We've bben lookin for a kinda mouth spray. Just keepin it moist a few times a day has kept the scabby kinda stuff off. We've asked our H.H. people but they really werent alot of help. But This has been much more helpful. :)

Just an FYI, if she is on O2, nothing Petroleum based, only water soluable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back