Tongue vibrations? Twitches and phlegm too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConcernedBond

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
Hi All,

Firstly for your time in reading this post. And the time you take to respond to so many people whilst juggling so much in your own lives.

I am a 31 year old male and am really worried.

Approx 5 months ago I first noticed twitching. It started in my calves but has been all over my body.

My PCP examined me and said that it wasn’t neurological. After a couple of follow ups she said she would refer me to Neurology for my piece of mind but that I probably would not be given an appointment, which I have not been.

I read the sticky posts and managed to move on as without weakness/failure I assumed the twitches to be benign.

However, about a week ago I started to notice excess saliva and persistent Phlegm I could not clear. This had me worried about Bulbar but again I read the stickies and reassured myself this sort of thing would come later.

But now my tongue is tremoring. Not a twitch if I stick it out. But it feels that when it is doing nothing in my mouth it is constantly vibrating very gently. This has become the straw that has pushed me over the edge into panic. Does this sound like ALS. with one thing after another after another I cannot push it from my brain. If the twitch in my tongue was little flickers I would dismiss it like the others. But it has not stopped vibrating since it started. Appreciate any thoughts or guidance.

You need to keep going back to your doctor every time you get scared like this. Tongue tremors will never diagnose ALS.
I'm really sorry you are dealing with all this anxiety and fear.
Only a doctor who can examine you can discuss any emerging changes in context of your situation.
All the best.

Thanks a lot for replying. I will try and get another appointment with my PCP. But in your experience these symptoms combined do not point towards ALS? Bulbar or otherwise?

We really can't tell you one way or another. Honestly, it takes a doctor to do a physical and decide the course of action. You may need additional blood work or a trip to a speech pathologist or ENT. For now, just work with your PCP and try not to search Google for answers.

We can tell you that it is not how we see Bulbar ALS starting. However, you reporting a symptom by text does not really mean anything. Recently someone here said 'but I'm having trouble gripping the steering wheel.' When we said - 'you are not safe to drive, stop driving', they then did an about face and went into detail about how well they can drive and that isn't really an issue.
If you go to your doctor, they will listen to you describe, then they will do the most important clinical examination. This bypasses you not describing correctly, or us not interpreting your description correctly.
So I would suggest you stop posting for now and take your new concern to you doctor. If they state again it is not neurological, then you can tell us and sign out of here. If you don't believe them, go to another doctor and get a second opinion.
We are not doctors and can only respond to your text and this will never take the place of seeing a doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back