Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
TN
Hi everyone, I'm a 31 year male that's been dealing with a plethora of issues for about 6 weeks now. It started with perceived weakness in my arms and then escalated into bodywide twitching but that's not really what worries me. Within the last week or so my tongue has begun to twitch and tingle and I've had throat tightness. Even when at rest in my mouth you can visibly see it twitch and quiver. I have an appointment with a primary care this Friday but just wondered what some of your thoughts might be. I have no other symptoms that I can tell but it's causing some anxiety. Thanks in advanced.

The problem is the more anxious you feel, the more you will probably twitch and so a cycle begins.
The great news is that twitching means nothing.
Try reading this and let us know how your doctor appointment goes.

The doctor said that twitches could be caused by any number of things and pulled labs to see if any of my levels were low and if everything was OK he'd refer me to a neuro. At this point I'm mainly twitching on my tongue and chin with some twitching in other muscles but not as frequent.

It was my tongue twitching and the shrinking of my tongue that led my speech therapist, who I was seeing on the recommendation of my GP due to my speech getting worse, to encourage me to see a neurologist as quickly as possible. She had done a rotation in an ALS clinic and saw the signs of potential ALS. She was instrumental in getting me an appointment and the neurologist recognized the same signs and immediately started all the rule out testing that led to my diagnoses of bulbar ALS this past July. I've since started twitching in both arms and beginning to have swallowing issues.

The thing that is different to you Vega and our PALS is that twitching was not the problem it was atrophy, and speech issues.
I hope your doctors find something the can work on with you as twitching alone really means nothing. So finding something will give them a direction to head in with you.

I don't have any speech or swallowing issues that I can tell. Given my heightened state over this I notice every little trip over a word and just talk way less in general (I'm usually very talkative which has led more than one person to ask me if I'm feeling ok). I also do weird things like take bigger sips of water just to prove can which I know is silly. I had a friend in high school whose dad was diagnosed with ALS and I witnessed some of the progression first hand and its always stuck with me. Given my twitching really started as a full body phenomenon I know this points away from ALS/MND but I can't quiet shake it. I also hate seeing that military members are more susceptible because I have and still do serve currently. Either way thank you both for your responses and have a great night and week.

Vega, something to reflect on that you wrote....

"I had a friend in high school whose dad was diagnosed with ALS and
I witnessed some of the progression first hand and its always stuck with me."

( its always stuck with me.)

" I also hate seeing that military members are more susceptible because
I have and still do serve currently."

(military members are more susceptible because I have and still do
serve currently.)

Be careful not to get into the swirling cycle of Health Anxiety or twitching
will get worse, other symptoms will amplify and new perceived symptoms
will surface. And... avoid Dr. Google.

Let us know after your Neuro appointment.

Last edited:
I totally understand - you can't shake it, you won't believe us, it just keeps bugging at you no matter how much it does not match ALS.
So go see a doctor please, and join an anxiety site so you can talk about all this stuff you can't shake.
I wish you the best.

Military are twice as likely as others. That sounds like a lot but you need to realize that risk rises with age so the risk of any 31 year old is exceedingly low- like one in the many many thousands doubling that risk is still one in many thousands. A man’s risk in his entire life is 1 in 350 so an 80 yo male vet has a risk of about 1 in 175. Look up your lifetime risk for things like heart disease, colon cancer and Alzheimer’s those are far more likely to kill you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back